Theres lots of questions about whole milk tonight, and I was just thinking, I have no idea why we wait until a year to give it to the kids. I know there is a reason for it, I just dont know what it is. enlighten me?

Amanduhpanda

Asked by Amanduhpanda at 12:26 AM on Mar. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Cows milk is not as nutrient rich as formula or breast milk so by switching to cow's milk early your baby could be missing out on vital nutrients that are needed by the body for health development. Babies digestive tracts are not sufficiently developed to cope with the complex proteins present in cows milk and as such they are not only likely to suffer from upset tummy's.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:33 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• I think the biggest reason is that a baby's digestive system can't process cow's milk properly before then. If you give it to them, it could cause the baby to become lactose intolerant when it's older. I don't think you have to wait until literally the day your child turns one, but I wouldn't do it much before that. I think you can start introducing some dairy a little earlier, but I'm not 100% sure about that.
    Rebecca7708

Answer by Rebecca7708 at 12:29 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• like Rebecca said, their digestive tracts can't process it.

plus since babies have a limited food selection before one year, the formula OR breast milk give them the extra nutrients they aren't getting from their selection of solid foods.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:31 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• Their little bodies cannot digest the cow's milk, they say a year because they should be use to everything by then and their digestive system should be fully developed(I'm almost positive). But that's what my doc said that they just cannot digest the cow's milk.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:32 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• It can be hard to digest.
    It can be an allergy food (like peanut butter and fish)
    It doesn't have very many nutrients compared to breastmilk or formula.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 1:11 AM on Mar. 3, 2009