5 year old with a temp of 103.9....should I be really worried?

He has a TERRIBLE non stop cough and of course the fever. Said his tummy was a small bit upset earlier. But thats it.

My guess is bronchitis. What do you think. I am taking him to the DR. first thing in the morning.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:42 AM on Mar. 3, 2009 in Kids' Health

• I would skip the ER. I went in last Spring with my son, who was only 16 months old at the time and had a fever of 104.1. They could really do nothing for him, and it was a waste of time. My poor boy would have been much more comfortable at home feeling yucky than waiting for 2.5 hours at the ER. I would try and bring it down at home before rushing in. Alternate tylenol and motrin to bring the fever down, undress him and give him wipe him down witha cool wahscloth. Note his behavior. If he is acting extremely lethargic, if his pupils are dilated, if he is having febrile seizures, take him in ASAP! Push plenty of cold liquids. Just monitor him. If it begins to creep down, keep doing what you are doing, but if it continues to rise, despite the measures that you are taking to bring it down, he needs to be seen. Hope he is feeling better soon!
    flower_momma

Answer by flower_momma at 12:53 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• I heard if any child has a temp above 101 that is considered an emergency. What he could have though? I dunno. Is he coughing up anything or is it dry?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:44 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• it's actually temp over 104 that's emergency for kids. their bodies can handle temps better than adults.

but that fever is really really close to 104... I'd go to the ER now honestly, especially with the cough. with a fever that high plus the cough, your child definitely is fighting an infection of some sort (viral or bacterial) that temperature can easily cause dehydration quickly!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:47 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• It is a dry cough and he just started it today. I just looked up medline and sounds like it could be strep throat.

why is it kids get so sick at nighttime when you cant take them to their ped.
    Anonymous

• if a child has a fever of over 102 that is a emergency to those who care about there childs well being...

sauna26

Answer by sauna26 at 12:50 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• Sauna, a temp pf 102 in a 5-year-old child is not an emergency. In an infant, yes. In a 5-year-old, no.
    flower_momma

Answer by flower_momma at 12:54 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• Sorry for my horrible spelling, good grief. I blame it on lack of sleep ;)
    flower_momma

Answer by flower_momma at 12:55 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• I just called Dr on call. They said to give him a luke warm/cool bath if it got over 104.0, he said that is all they would do at the ER.

Sauna: you said that as if I didnt care about my childs well being. (maybe thats not how you ment it, but thats the way it came across)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:56 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• This happened to my little sister when she was about 4. My dad went to McDonald's and got her a milkshake, gave her some motrin and put her in a cool shower for a few mins. Put her in her pjs and laid with her. Her temp came down and she fell asleep! However if the motrin isn't working or if the temp goes up anymore, you need to take him to the ER. They have certain intravenis medications that can bring that temperature down. If it continues to rise it can start to cause serious neurological problems.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:59 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• no anon i was not directing it toward you it was for 12:47 and i said that because i am going to school as we speak to be a rn at uab hospital and a fever over 102 can jump in some cases to 104 in less then 5 minutes which is dangerous for anyone espeaily a 5 year old child..sorry if you thought i was directing it towards you i was not.

sauna26

Answer by sauna26 at 1:02 AM on Mar. 3, 2009