Inlaws putting sons life at risk

My inlaws use to come over just about every weekend and it seemed like they were perfect with him. I began to pay more attention and started to realize that my MIL was totally neglecting my son. She left butcher knives on a rag for him to grab off the counter, left him in the other room to brake a mirror, and doesn't watch him with the light sockets! This weekend my FIL had a blood pressure pill in his pocket and dropped it!!! My husband won't open his mouth, and I refuse to let them come over; what do I do my son doesn't have much family other then my husband and I.

Bugsmommy1908

Asked by Bugsmommy1908 at 12:46 AM on Mar. 3, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• did you say something??? sorry but your mouth works too.. it's not just your husband's responsibility to speak up especially if you feel your child's life is at risk.

as for the little slips, you know, I'm sure your inlaws aren't that used to small children anymore, obviously their kid(s) are grown adults now, so child proofing has probably not been an issue for them.

left him in another roum to break a mirror? why'd you have the mirror where he could reach it? it's your house after all.

I drop pills too... then I pick them up... did your FIL pick it up?

you may need to remind your inlaws of child proofing... and since it's your house, child proof it yourself. if you saw a knife on a towel in his reach, move it. if there are things out that he can reach but shouldn't have, move them.

sounds a bit like you're over reacting to me.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:52 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• One thing I have realized is that time progreses so does parent awareness. In their day and time they werent as aware about the dangers lurking around for kids. Now with internet and tv always on, we hear it all.

Do you feel like your inlaws are intentionally doing this to harm your son. If not, then start by having a talk with MIL about how you are a nervous worried first time mom. Mention some of the main things you are worried about and how you are so worried. ANY loving mother should be understanding if you come from a place of concern.

They might just be clueless to parenting today. DH SHOULD BE HELPING YOU! Its his parents its his turf.

I hate dealing with inlaws. If it were my mother I would just tell her, MOM hello, he could jab this in his eye. With MIL its much harder, just remember you are doing it to protect your son. Thats all any mother can and should do!
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 12:53 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• I dont know why I assumed you were a first time mom, just tired I guess. sorry ;)
    mom2twobabes

• yeah pls talk to them. Maybe they don't realize what thry are doing so bring it to their attention ASAP!!!
    kyheavensmom

Answer by kyheavensmom at 12:56 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• Well, I have to say that as a grandparent, sometimes we forget these little things because no matter how big they are for you, we simply have long since forgotten how careful you must be around children. My grandbabies were over yesterday and as much as I thought I got everything put up, the little one found lots of items I neglected to move. You just need to let themr know. I don't they are doing it on purpose... it's just that we, as grandparents, don't have to worry about that stuff anymore. It's up to you to watch your child after all....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:57 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• I've baby-proofed my house and mentioned to them a few times, and DH has as well about how to be careful. They seem to just want to sit back and be lazy. They say they come over to help and/or babysit but they don't help or watch him when we are gone. They don't play with him or act concerned with any of the "accidents". I don't know...just wanted to know what you other mommies thought, thank you!
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 1:08 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• how old r they? if u feel that ur son is in danger when they r alone with him, dont leave him. mom always knows best, u put ur baby 1st. my mom was the same way with my kids and i would say thing here and there, and oneday my mom forgot that i put bug spray and anything that could indanger my kids, high out of reach. my oldest daughter sprayed it on her face and mouth, i took her to the e.r right away, she was okay, but u dont want to chace it ever!!!!! better to be safe then sorry, when it comes to ur baby.
    baby-cakes

Answer by baby-cakes at 1:33 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• The knife on the rag was probably a slip up. I'm sure she didn't do it intentionally. Did you say something at the time? Move it?

Are the light sockets not covered? Agreed that even covered he shouldn't be allowed to play with them, but if they are covered she probably doesn't realize covers only slow them down. Personally, if you have that big of a problem with your son and light sockets still I would get better covers and/or place furniture in front of them.

I agree with the first poster. Why was a mirror left where he could even get a hold of it to break it?

Did FIL know he dropped the pill? Did he pick it up? Did you mention it fell out of his pocket? Did you pick it up and hand it back to him?

If you're gone how do you know they don't watch him? What else are you expecting them to do to "help out"?

Based on what you've written, I think you're over reacting.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:40 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• My dad is this way and when we leave the house (just to run errands or pick up older kids from school, it is simply not safe to leave him alone with her for longer periods) I have to baby proof everything in the living room and remind him of everything she is not allowed to do and put gates up to every exit of the room I have baby proofed. I litteraly have to ask myself "if I was leaving her alone, would she have anything to get into here" (which I would NEVER do, but it gives you an idea of how much work you expect them to do with the preperations you have put up.) If you baby proof your house and just remind them about the stuff you leave out they should start to get the hint, and you may have to be a bit harsh about it. For instance "hey (mil) if you can't put the knife in a safer place where he can't reach it I am going to have to hide them from you too!" But ultimately it is your house and your son, put your foot down
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:29 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• I agree with everything from Anon440 or 340 depending on your timezone...right above me.

Navymama

Answer by Navymama at 9:29 AM on Mar. 3, 2009