weening ?

Ok, I weened my daughter last week, she has not nursed since Monday but I'm so so swollen and so so sore. Should I try to express some or will it make me continue to make milk? This is worse than when I started bf'ing. How long does it take to dry up?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:59 AM on Mar. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• with my daughter it took me 2 weeks just wear a tight sports bra do not pump or give her the breast it will make it worse
    Have3Girls114

Answer by Have3Girls114 at 1:02 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• Okay, to relieve the pressure a little, express just enough to make yourself comfortable, but not enough to completely drain the breast. You should also put some chilled cabbage leaves on your ladies. When they get warm, change them out.
    Rebecca7708

Answer by Rebecca7708 at 1:03 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• yes listen to Rebecca...thats what I was going to say.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 1:07 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• Rebecca's got it. I'd like to add DO NOT BIND THE BREASTS, this can increase your risk of clogged ducts and infection.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:02 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• Ditto on what Rebecca said. It's important to prevent clogged ducts - those are no fun.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 8:25 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• Did you wean gradually? Generally if you wean gradually, your breasts will not be as sore, plus it is easier for your baby.
    TanyaR1024

Answer by TanyaR1024 at 8:54 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• gradual weaning is what is best for baby and mom, it is not recommended to wean cold turkey unless it was done due to a medical issue. i agree with expressing just enough to relieve some of the engorgement and the cabbage leaves. there is a list on kellymom.com of things you can take to decrease your supply, but you may have milk for up to a year after weaning.
    kyriesmommy13

Answer by kyriesmommy13 at 9:10 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• I weened kinda cold turkey, my daughter is 20 mo old, she only had it at nap time, bed time and once or twice through the night. so it's not a big deal for me to have just taken it away, she actually hasn't faught me or asked me for it and has been drinking regular milk. I actually tried to give it to her one day b/c I was so engourged and she told me "don't like it" and wouldn't touch it when before she would wine "nurses, nurses". So she was ready and I have been ready but I found out last week I am pg again so I really wanted to ween her. So thanks for the advice. I did end up xpressing some but not all and I'm wearing a sports bra but not real tight, just enough to put more pressure on them
    Anonymous

• Ok glad to hear she got 20 months worth of nursing in! I was worried your baby was still little and you were weaning her already. The engorgement shouldnt be too bad since she nurses so rarely now. I would just express enough to be comfortable.
    TanyaR1024

Answer by TanyaR1024 at 11:04 PM on Mar. 4, 2009