How late is too late? Late period with IUD?

So, normally I get my 'aunt flow' at the end of the month. Sometimes it comes in the early 20's and sometimes in the late 20's -- but never does it go on and not show up. I understand it's only the 3rd -- but I haven't gotten it yet. I do have an IUD in, but I know NOTHING is 100% effective. So. How late is too late? When should I take a test -- or is it even worth it? Guh. I'm confused.

jen_greiner

Asked by jen_greiner at 1:27 AM on Mar. 3, 2009 in Pregnancy

• You should test on the first day of your missed period. I was on the pill, so I was very regular and knew exactly when to test. The test is the most accurate on the first day of your missed period. YOu could test now and it would be accurate.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:34 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• How long have you had an IUD? A lot of women stop having their periods altogether on the IUD. If its in the first year since you had it it might just be that you won't be getting them anymore. Take a home pregnancy test and check with your dr!
    usbornebooksdh

Answer by usbornebooksdh at 1:59 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• I had one for 4 years, and no nothing is 100% but the IUD is pretty darn effective. Occasionally you can miss one because of stress or illness. And every year February messes up people. I mean I started for years on the 29th or 30th. That's great except there are only 28 days in February LOL so I was late all the darn time.

I would wait a few days longer and if I was a week late, I would test. The thing is with an IUD if there is an implantation, than you are now high risk and have to be monitored the whole time so the DR needs to know ASAP, so you can discuss complications, and what not.

Hang in there worrying will only make it later honey.
    navywife6

Answer by navywife6 at 7:38 AM on Mar. 3, 2009