Be honest and anonymously if you need to...

Have you ever left your young kids in the car to run in the gas station to pay with cash? What do you do when your kids are asleep in their carseat and you need to run in and pick up a pizza for example? Do you always wake them up and take them in? Where do you draw the line if you do leave them for a minute? Is it okay to get out and drop off a letter in the mailbox? What about dropping off a rented movie? What is your opinion on this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:32 AM on Mar. 3, 2009 in General Parenting

• When my son was tiny I used to leave him in his carseat in the car while I went in to pick up mail at the post office. It was always at night and I freaked out every time i did it. I would literally sprint in and back out worried about leaving him there even though the door was locked. That's all I ever left him in the car alone though...
    kitten_shuga

Answer by kitten_shuga at 1:38 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• Only if I can see and run to the car would I ever do that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:39 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• i have done it when it snowed once and my kid was sick didnt wanna take him out.. i parked all the way in front of a door haha the lady was like what are you doing thats not a parking spot i was just like and..
    miss_nevin

Answer by miss_nevin at 1:40 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• i'm not going to lie, i have left my kids in the car to pay for gas. i always roll the window down a bit and never go far enough so i cant see them, and put the alarm on the car too. i have three kids 3 and under, i feel it would be more dangerest to take them all out and get hit by a car cuz the felt like running, and the car didnt see them if u know what i mean. i dont think i would ever leave them in the summer time though cuz it gets way too hot way too fast in a car
    baby-cakes

Answer by baby-cakes at 1:40 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• Where I live its a crime to do that. You'd get a huge ticket and they'd likely call CPS. I didn't know that until a friend of mine had it happen when he went into the gas station and paid for his gas. His kids are 9-5-3! Better check your laws. I'd hate to see anyone get a huge ticket and the hassle of CPS because they didn't want their sick baby out in the cold!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:47 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• Nope, not that I can think of at least. I won't leav emy kids in the car because it only takes a second for someone else to jump in there and take off, alot faster than you can get out there. Even if they break the window, open the door and get in. A locked car is not a deterrent when someone really wants in. The only way I would do this was if I was on the base and just running in to a friend's house to grab something because I feel a bit safer in military housing than anywhere else. But not even then if my 2 older boys are not in the car.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 1:49 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• no never done that. I have done other things that Im not proud of. I was young and stupid. I will never do them again though.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:02 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• The answer is never. Cars are not babysitters. Yes, I will always bring them in with me. I will not put convinience before my children. If a situation is going to give me stress and be difficult to get through because of needing to do an errand while with my son, I will figure out a way to do it with him or wait until another time when someone can watch him.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 2:15 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• i swear im not lying...my DD is 8months and i have NEVER left her in the car alone..eventhough its a hassle to take her out and put her bak in the car..especially if its only to get a piza or the mail i take her..i think it takes longer to get her out/bak in than what my errand was...and i live in a really safe small town!!im so oer-protective!!you never know what can happen even in little towns
    lhernandez7208

Answer by lhernandez7208 at 2:25 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• No way. Several years ago when I lived in Missouri a mom went in to get a drink at a store. She could see her son and even made it to the car. She was trying to get her son out of the car seat when the car thief drove off. He had no clue he was dragging a young child. He drove on the freeway until he finally turned off when so many were motioning for him to get over. He got out of the car and there was the mangled body of a little boy. His mom thought he was OK for the one minute she would be gone. He is dead now. No thank you. I would rather be inconvenienced than the mother of a dead child.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:37 AM on Mar. 3, 2009