i have a staffordshire terreir but the breed is really close to a pittbull should i still keep her or give her away

since the day we got bella she has been sweet we got her 3 monthes before we found out i was pregnate ,problem her breed is so close to a pittbull some poeple consider her a pittbull she's been fine around our 3 month old niece in fact she smelled her and just layed down next to her or walks off when she crys and puts up with all our nieces and nephews who can get really rough some times in fack our 3 year old niece drug her across the floor by her leash. but with all the recent attacks from pittbulls were just a little worried,after all we have spent money and time on this dog with doggy classes and socilizatoin and aggression courses wich she passed with flying colors any advise

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:16 AM on Mar. 3, 2009 in Pets

• The Amstaff is different from the Pit not only because it's AKC registered. But because it also has been exclusively bred for the Show Ring, not the fighting ring, for the past 80 years.

This breed wasn't even available to Pet breeders until fairly recently. The Show breeders kept a very tight rein on their bloodlines. Most Show breeders ( with any breed of dog) are also very careful not to breed dogs with undesirable temperaments, lest they end up suspended from Showing for when one of their dogs bites a judge.

I have an Amstaff Show Kennel. Before I had my son, I got rid of my Chihuahua and my Cat. What does that tell you?

Also, look at the video I posted just above you about Pits. The actual temperament test statistics will most likely amaze you.

Given the fact that my neighbors Dachsund has gone after my son and bit him in the face when he wasn't even looking at her, I was completely un-surprised at their rating!!!
    Sharon7772

Answer by Sharon7772 at 11:48 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• I'm not a fan of the bully breed. But I know many families have pits and are fine, so if you're comfortable with your dog, it'd probably be fine to keep the dog, but watch the baby around the dog. I'd be cautious, but only you know the dog.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 4:40 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• Ok, first.. If you didn't know about the breed you shouldn't of gotten it. Second, just because its a pit bull doesn't mean its going to rip your babies face off. My pit LOVES kids and I have never been around one who didn't love kids. These dogs get such a bad rap and its humans that make these dogs bad. If you don't know how to train her I would get rid of her ASAP. These dogs are put down more than any other dog because people get them and don't know how to handel them. Find a rescue in your area and give your dog to them. These dogs are sweet, loving, caring, and pretty much just big babies unless your mean to them or don't socialize them. The pit attacks you hear about are thrown WAY out of proportion. Do you know how many dogs attack people everyday? ALOT. They just single out pits because they want something the write about. Small toy breeds have caused thousands more human injuries than pits.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:11 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• Keep her! I have an American Bulldog and she is a total baby!
    SheriH

Answer by SheriH at 9:37 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• We have a pitbull and she is the sweetest best dog we've ever had. She's very patient with our 3 year old who can get rowdy at times...she doesn't destroy things, she's friendly to everyone and the only thing she wants to do is jump and give kisses. It's not about the breed it's about the dog.
    erika.lyn

Answer by erika.lyn at 9:57 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• They are in fact very similar, the only difference is AMStaff is recognized by the AKC and Pits are not. If you don't think you can take care of her properly then you prolly shouldn't have her. Like any dog you will have to introduce her to your new bundle of joy and include her. They are not bad or aggressive dogs, people make them out to be. When you get a dog you should think into the future because this isn't a decision to be taken lightly. Is it really fair to your Bella that you didn't think about possibly adding to your family in the future? This happens so much, people get rid of there beloved pets because they get them on a whim and don't consider the fact that these dogs are going to hopefully be with them for 10 years or longer.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:22 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• I think you should be fine if she is passing all those classes...ANY dog can turn on someone....not just "agressive" breed....I grew up with a doberman and he was a big baby...scared of everything lol.
    Briyawna

Answer by Briyawna at 11:41 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• Your dog isn't going to kill you or your kids if you raise her right. Pit bulls are NOTHING to be scared of. People think pits are the meanest breed of dog out there because pits sell. The mdeia uses whatever it is that gives them high ratings. They aren't reporting dog bites by "family" breeds.

My best advice...educate yourself as much as you can on the type of dog you have. Don't listen to what so-and-so has to say about pits. Do your own research!
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 12:49 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• why wouldnt you keep your amstaff ? it's never done anything bad to you. there goes the pit Ignorance again!
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 2:32 PM on Mar. 3, 2009