What to do when a 2 yr old hits you in the face

2 year old hitting mom in the face

Donnamomma40

Asked by Donnamomma40 at 5:26 AM on Mar. 3, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i had this problem with my son, he started by just hitting the dog then my husband but when he hit my 6 month old nephew i started doing something about it. when he hits he gets his hand slapped then he gets put in time out for 1 min. I know 1 min doesnt seem long but for a 2 year old its a lifetime. It seem to work with him maybe it will work for you!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:56 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• You might have to try different things and see what he responds to. I had tried every approach I could think of, but nothing worked (all sorts of verbal correction, redirection, time-out, etc). Now what I do is take his hands and gently put them down by his sides and just hold hold them there while I repeat "no hitting". It isolates the behavior by drawing his attention to his hands, and it really gets his attention - he dislikes it, but it's not mean and scary. He rarely hits now.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 8:09 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• When my son hit me in the face (or anywhere else), I calmly and firmly told him no hitting and then put him down and turned away from him or even walked away from him for a bit. My intent was to show that hitting me made me not want to be with him, which was contrary to what he wanted. Also, if I saw the hit coming, I would put my hand up as if for a high five and thereby re-direct him to something he could hit. Also, I would make sure he had plenty of things around the house that he could hit to get his frustration out or to explore...unfortunately, they didn't respond to hits like mommy does!
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 9:01 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• There is a book called "Hands aren't for hitting" or something like that. I really feel that a slap on the hand is SO confusing for a child in that particular situation. It is hard for them to get the concept of "don't hit" when they are getting "hit" (even though I am sure the previous poster does not hit hard and it is a small smack on the hand)

What I do is gently take his hands and give them a kiss and tell him nice things to do with his hands. He is still younger than your son so we have to remind him a lot. Also, a time out for 2 minutes (his age) would also be good.
    Glowing4Caleb

Answer by Glowing4Caleb at 11:00 AM on Mar. 3, 2009