Beauty School vs. Beauty Salon

So I am looking into getting my hair colored and highlighted. I have been calling around and it's not a small fortune but it's not cheap. I don't want to spend 150 on my hair. To the question lol - Has anyone ever went to there local beauty school to get there hair done. I hear it's cheaper and they do just as good of a job. I am a bit nervous though so any input would be super :0)

taylorsmommy00

Asked by taylorsmommy00 at 5:56 AM on Mar. 3, 2009 in Beauty & Style

• I have never been to a beauty school to get my hair cut because I am very picky about my hair. I have found a wonderful hair stylist/dresser, whatever you call them now days, that I just can't part with. With that being said, you can also find some great hairstylists in training at the beauty college. I would ask around to people who have been to the one you want to go to and see you they recommend. There are some great ones and some not so great ones. Good Luck!
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 6:23 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• I went to the beauty school at the local community college for a perm. NEVER AGAIN. Make a long sad story short, they fried my hair. It was total HELL for about a year till I eventually got it all cut off the part they had done and back to normal. They will never touch my hair again. A friend suggested going there for acrylic nails, and I said NO WAY, I'd probably end up with no hands if I went there!

pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 8:18 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• I've been to a beauty school before for my nails. The job was mediocre at best...They started chipping right away. I don't think I'd trust them with my hair.
    sparrowprincess

Answer by sparrowprincess at 8:35 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• WOW! Maybe I'm biased here but I DO go to the beauty college close by for all kinds of stuff! Right now my daughter is a student, so I am here model and guinea pig so to speak BUT I went there even before she became a student. As long as the supervisors check you are usually okay.
    bagjmama

Answer by bagjmama at 9:21 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• can you call and request a "senior" student do your hair rather then a "newbie"?
    taylorsmommy00

Answer by taylorsmommy00 at 10:55 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• well as far as i know every student is supouse to get a sertain amount of hours of practice on dummy heads before they are allowed to take clients...
    I guess it depends on a student, how good or bad he/she is...
    I you wanna try it just ask guestions before like:is it gonna be supervised by a teacher? or what can go wrong?
    Albi1623

Answer by Albi1623 at 4:31 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• Thanks ladies for your input. I guess I will just call and ask lots of questions :o) Thanks again ~ I will let you all know if it ends up great or fried lol
    taylorsmommy00

Answer by taylorsmommy00 at 6:53 AM on Mar. 4, 2009