when does a cold sore become something more?

My 2 year old has one that he won't stop picking at. I have tried to cover it but he pulls it off. Now it looks pretty gross. Does a cold sore ever become something more?

missv66

Asked by missv66 at 6:41 AM on Mar. 3, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• We get cold sores here all the time...just lucky I guess...lol My 2 middle boys get them so bad that it will cover the entire lip! We have never had them turn into anything other than nasty looking sores. I try to keep Campho-Phenique in the house at all times. That helps dry them up faster(but it stings!!!)
    how_reb

Answer by how_reb at 7:18 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• something more happend here over the summer ( trying not to scare you ) my dd had what we thought was a bad cold sore and it spread and got bigger called her doc and they wanted us in asap come to find out it was a staf infection and she needed medicine. so just keep an eye on it or call the doc and see what they sujest to help the cold sore out seeing how hes 2. ( mine was 11 ) tell them your delema they might be able to help. good luck.
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 8:34 AM on Mar. 3, 2009