my son is 20 months old but he refuses to sit on potty and more over he has very bad constipation,please tell me what to do for both?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:40 AM on Mar. 3, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Maybe he's not ready to potty train. My son is 22 months and nowhere near ready. But if he was doing okay before, and now that he's constipated he won't sit on the potty, try adding more fiber to his diet. I give my son a container of gerber stage 1 prunes mixed into a bowl of oatmeal when he gets really constipated. And I avoid bananas at all cost.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 8:03 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• I'd second he is not ready to potty train yet. You will know when he is ready, my son is 29 months and is telling me when he has to go now, I never pushed the issue to train I like nature work it out A little apple juice might help him go potty, I never give Juice unless we have this problem. Good Luck mama
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:32 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• Unfortunately it is very comon (especially for boys) that if they are forced to early into potty training they will hold it in until they are constipated. I would wait a few weeks or a month and try again, but do thing on his time not yours. Alot of kids wait till well after 2 years to start potty training, and boys tend to do it slower than girls too.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:20 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• I agree with the above answer. My son has only just "got it" at 2 and half and he has no probs pooping on potty now. I did try at 2 yrs and he got frightened by potty and held it and got constipated.

Plenty of water, fruit and prune juice if not moving...avoid white bread.

Good luck
    notquiteMartha

Answer by notquiteMartha at 9:43 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• I think he is way too young and thats probably why he won't sit on it!

Iviemg

Answer by Iviemg at 11:27 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• Mine wouldn't sit on the potty either. So I wanted until she was willing to. That was at 27 months.

Mine also had bad constipation. Since it hurt her when she finally did go, she started refusing to go (it's calling withholding). Of course that made it worse and started her on a terrible cycle - refuse to go because you are scared, get constipated, it's hurts when you do go, refuse to go because it hurt and you are scared, get constipated... etc, etc, etc. It was awful. She just wanted me to hold her and pace - for the entire 3 days it took her to go, each time it happened.
    My pedicatrian finally put her on a daily dose of Miralax. It's not a laxative so long term use doesn't cause problems. It's also not a drug and isn't absorbed by the body... iIt simply passes on through in the poop. It keeps the poop from getting big and hard no matter how long the child refuses to go.
    -cont-
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:30 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• It took months but her fear finally eased and she started pooping more willingly. Until that happened, it was pointless to try to potty train her at all, especially for poop. She was too afraid and I certainly didn't want her to transfer that fear to the potty.
    Other good ideas:
    Prune juice (apple works in some kids and makes it worse others)
    LOTS of water
    Lots of fruit (not fruit juice)
    The book "Everyone Poops" - this is a huge hit with little kids
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:35 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• I'd wait until he turned 2 to try it again. Alot of kids really aren't ready enough before this age. (Especially boys) Our little guy is 23 months & just starting to get interested. Drop it for a while, then get some books or videos about going potty, talking it up, but it needs to be his idea. Children only have control over 2 things, how much they eat or don't eat, and their bowels. Give it some time, then watch for signs of readiness again. Good luck & try to be patient until then. (Easier said, than done, I know! LOL!) :)
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 11:43 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• 20 months is still quite early to potty train. Many moms will say thier kids are trained at 18 months and while some are true.... most arent and then we moms feel the need to have our kids start. Just wait for all the signs and he will train when he a ready. You can start now and be doing it for 3-5 months or wait until he is ready and take 2 weeks at most... your choice. but don't feel as though you have to train him now. The normal age range is 2.5-3 for girls and 2.5-4 for boys.
    deputywife

Answer by deputywife at 3:48 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• thanks moms,cho chweet of u guys
    nusratfasahat

Answer by nusratfasahat at 5:05 AM on Mar. 4, 2009