Is he a freak?

My son was born on 1/29/09, weighing 7.4 pounds, only to drop to 7 pounds before comming home... Ok well I brought him to the docs yesterday and he weighs in at 11.1 pounds and is 23 almost 23.5 inches long (at birth he was almost 20)My mother inlaw keeps saying he growing to fast, freakishly fast. He doesnt look pudgy to me.. the doc also said he is growing grea. But should he be this big this fast? He is breastfed 80% of the time and only bottle fed 2 ounces before bed, and then I BF, if durring the day when we need to go somewhere I do the 2 and breast feed. Do you think I need to worry, is he going to be obess as an adult? If he keeps this up he will be gaining 2 pounds every 2 weeks...

ashley_hatty

Asked by ashley_hatty at 8:07 AM on Mar. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I dont think you should have anything to worry about, he might just be really tall when hes older if you're worried about obesity when hes old enough to snack on things make sure its not junk food carrots oranges apples all the healthy good stuff.
    Breezy1988

Answer by Breezy1988 at 8:22 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• He is growing fast, but that's awesome! It's not something to worry about, and it in no way means he'll grow up to be an obese adult. Babies are supposed to gain weight quickly. I do not think you need to worry. It sounds like he's doing great.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 8:23 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• I think he sounds fine. My youngest son must have grown really freakishly fast in utero b/c he was born at 10 lbs. 6 oz. 22 3/4" LOL!! And he gained weight and grew even longer at a fast pace in the first months as well! He was a big boy! But growth slows. Your son won't gain 2 lbs. every month forever. Newborns just add lbs. at a faster rate than older babies and kids. My son's still very tall for his age, but I don't think the rapid growth has anything to do with obesity.

For what it's worth my sister was born weighing 5 lbs. 12 oz. and at her 1 month check up she was over 12 lbs (breastfed). She's a very fit 33 yo now :-)
    SahmTam

Answer by SahmTam at 8:40 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• He sounds perfectly healthy to me. Especially since his height is increasing pretty fast with his weight.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:48 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• If you cut out the formula, you will know he is not getting too much. He can't overfeed on the breast only.
    TanyaR1024

Answer by TanyaR1024 at 8:56 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• my first was 10 lbs when he was born, he was strictly bf until 12 months. but the first 7 weeks he gained a lb a week,(we had a lactation consultant that came the first 8 weeks and weighed him) by time he was 10 months old he was 30 lbs. but because he was ebf no one was concerned his dr just joked that i produced butter and ice cream. he is 3 1/2 now and about the same size as the other kids his age. he weighs in at 40. i wouldn't worry about it if the dr hasn't shown concern
    bentleysmommy

Answer by bentleysmommy at 9:16 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• i agree with tanya, if you cut out the formula you will know he isn't over-eating. if you don't have a pump, i hear WIC rents them for free (if you qualify). formula has been sown to increase the risk of diabetes and obesity later in life.
    kyriesmommy13

Answer by kyriesmommy13 at 9:25 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• Oh, for crying out loud you can't overfeed on formula either! If she was over feeding, he would spit it back up! If she wants to cut out the formula that's her choice but she obviously has a reason for giving it.

He's going to grow fast. He's supposed to grow fast.. If the doctor isn't worried, there is no reason for you to either. They will track his weight and height and as long as they are proportional and he continues to follow his own growth curve things are great. He will gain more in some months than he will in other months.

Formula does NOT lead to diabetes and obesity in adulthood. Over eating and not eating healthy foods does that. Lay off.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:42 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• As long as he is growing proportionately. I mean,. his height and his weight seem to be in line on the growth curve. He will gain weight like CRAZY until he starts to crawl. Lets see, my daughter went from 7 lb 2 oz at birth to 6 lbs 14 oz at her jaundice check to 10 lb 1 oz at her 1 month check. She went from 19 inches to 21.75 in that first month too. It seems just fine to me.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 10:30 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• I wouldn't worry about it. He will level out. My on grew 3 inches and 4 lbs between his 2nd and 3 month.... but between his 6 and 7 month didn't even gain an oz! But grew and inch.

They seem to grow the most in the first 6 months and have like 3 growth spurts and then it slows down a bit. And when your baby starts moving weight gain slows too...
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:01 AM on Mar. 3, 2009