Do you meditate?

What kind of meditation do you practice? Do you have a shrine or a special place for meditation?

I practice what I would call a vipassana-inspired meditation. In theory, I do it for a half hour every day, but lately I haven't been getting to my pillow as often. I sit silently at my little shrine, light a candle and some incense, set my timer, and I silently observe myself and my environment for 30 minutes.

BlueFrogMama

Asked by BlueFrogMama at 8:17 AM on Mar. 3, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I lie down in a darkened room and listen to my Ipod.  It helps me achieve a deep state of relaxation.  It is a very transcendental experience for me.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 8:48 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• I lie down on the floor, feet on the floor. I put my hands on my stomach and concentrate on my breathing. Once my breathing is regulated, I listen...sometimes pray. Just simple stuff. But it does wonders.
    saphire_eyes802

Answer by saphire_eyes802 at 9:41 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• Actually, I normally do mine while taking a bath. Using the water as a form of cleansing, not just physically but mentally as well. (besides, it's the only time I get about a half hour of quiet time for just me, lol)... if you want more details on the steps I take, you can pm me.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 9:48 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• I need to do it more often LOL.

Right now Ive done it as I lay down getting ready for bed, I just take a few moments to listen to my breathing and relax. Or Ive sat in a bath and just listened to my breathing.
    BonesDragonDew

Answer by BonesDragonDew at 11:20 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• Living in a 1200 sq ft house with 4 kids ----- my meditation time comes when I'm in a bath or when I'm lying in bed.

Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 11:39 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• I'm not sure it's technically meditation. At night, I sit on the edge of my bed, or lie down. I try to clear my mind, either by watching the flame of a candle or by staring at a pattern on the ceiling. I breath deeply. I imagine a pure white light around me, burning off the negativity of the day. I don't do it on a regular basis, just when I need to cleanse my self. Sometimes I hold a crystal whose energy I might need. It keeps me sane...or insane, depending on how well you know me, hee-hee!!!
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 12:20 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• That's basically what I do. Although I was sick last week and coughing a lot so I didn't venture into my "silent time". But I LOVE it when I do it. It's very healing.
    jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 12:33 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• YES, I LISTEN TO DR. BRIAN WEISS'S MEDITATION TAPES, HIS VOICE ALONE IS ENOUGH TO SEDATE YOU!

Answer by older at 1:12 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• yes. I have my alter set up and my zafu and I do morning meditation.
    JackalsWife

Answer by JackalsWife at 2:44 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• I've also done walking meditation as it's done at temple but I prefer sitting.
    JackalsWife

Answer by JackalsWife at 2:45 PM on Mar. 3, 2009