Are the free government grants for real?

I keep seeing all these infommercials with that guy dressed in the ??? suit as well as websites saying there is free money out there. Is this for real or is it just a scam? If it is for real, how do you go about finding out if you're eligible?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:56 AM on Mar. 3, 2009 in Money & Work

• I realized when I did my taxes that no grants are "free" You pay a huge chunk back to governement. I was so pissed when I entered my school grants it took my refund down a little more than a 1000 and I recieved around 1800.

But besides that. Yes they're are.

I know that if you prove that you have native american in your blood its like an 8th or 16th you get a HUUUGGEEEE HUUUGGEEE grant to start a small buisiness, college whatever. But that is so hard to prove because navitive americans didn't record anything. My great great grandma was 100% NA so I would have been able to get this grant and my family in Tennessee and they have tried eevveerrryyytthhinggg to track it and they can't. There are tons of others I'd try googling it.
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 9:01 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• The government does not give grants for personal finances. Go to grants.gov, the official site for government grants. The site explains everything. There are some grants for individuals, but you have to meet the criteria.
    ZarsMom

Answer by ZarsMom at 11:05 AM on Mar. 3, 2009