How long do you keep your baby rear facing in a carseat?

My baby girl is only 6 months so I haven't even thought about switching her to a forwarding facing car seat. But I do want to know when it's time to switch. I've heard different things. When did you switch your baby's car seat?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:56 AM on Mar. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I rear face to 35 lbs in a convertible. 20 lbs and 1 yr sets them up for injury in the event of a crash.

It is dangerous to front face too soon because their neck isn't ready.

Video from a grandpa who's son was foreward faced too soon.

ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 9:00 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• it is the law to keep a child rear facing until 1 year AND 20 lbs. if the baby is more than 20 lbs., you still have to wait until the are at least year. personally, i am planning on extended rear facing. have you seen the video on (i think) youtube that shows the a car crash and the difference between rear and forward facing? i would suggest checking it out. it may change your mind about how long you rear-face and save your daughter from harm should you ever be in an accident (which i hope you are not).
    kyriesmommy13

Answer by kyriesmommy13 at 9:02 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• As long as humanly possible IMO. 6 mo is DEFINITELY not time. She must remain RF until 1 yr and 20 lbs by law, even if your state doesn't have that law, because if it doesn't have the 1 and 20 law, it def. has the proper usage law, stating you must use the seat according to the manufacturers specifications. No seat on the market allows for FF before 1 and 20. Personally, I say stay RF until at least 30 lbs, preferably 35. I'm glad you are taking the time to look into this before just flipping her around. There are a few great car seat safety groups on here and on myspace. Check them out.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:17 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• most states have laws that say 1 and 20, but it is best to RF longer. I didn't with my dd though, she was 1 and well over 20 lbs lol when I switched her.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 9:32 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• 1 year and 20lbs. When my son was a baby it was only 20lbs which he hit when he was 5 months old lol. My daughter didn't hit 20lbs till she was 18 months old, and I tell ya, as soon as that scale said 20lbs, she was facing forward lol
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 9:34 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• It is NOT the law in all states to remain rear facing until 1 and 20lbs. It is the law in some states. It is STRONGLY recommended that ALL parents wait until at LEAST 1 year and 20lbs, however waiting until the max on the seat is better (keep in mind the height limits as well)
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 9:37 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• LOL if I would have waited till the max on our car seat for rear facing, she would have gone to kindergarden rear facing lol, She's a bitty thing
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 9:41 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• My son is 2 and still rear facing. He'll stay that way until he's 35 pounds.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 9:43 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• here is a rundown of the laws. Which is very disapointing. EVERY state should have the 1 and 20 law, otherwise parents will put their 6 month olds in there whose neck comtrol is too poor!

celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 9:54 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• I turned my oldest 1 week after his 1st birthday. He got horrible motion sickness and that cured it.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 10:09 AM on Mar. 3, 2009