• In the Spotlight:

Sen. Barack Obama's wife and three close advisers have been involved with a program at the University of Chicago Medical Center that steers patients who don't have private insurance -- primarily poor, black people -- to other health care facilities

February 19 2009
Laura Gore (202) 728-0610,

Washington, DC - The American College of Emergency Physicians (ACEP) today said the University of Chicago Medical Center is failing in its obligation to treat emergency patients, citing drastic reductions in inpatient beds for emergency patients and a recent news story about a 12-year-old boy attacked by a pit bull who was sent to another hospital for surgery. With hospital plans in place to reduce staffing and beds for emergency care even further, the chair of medicine and the chief of emergency medicine at the medical center have resigned.

ACEP expressed grave concerns that the University of Chicago’s policy toward emergency patients is dangerously close to “patient dumping,” a practice made illegal by the Emergency Medical Labor and Treatment Act (EMTALA), and reflected an effort to “cherry pick” wealthy patients over poor

THIS is your first lady.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:13 AM on Mar. 3, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Perhaps that was why she was given a $200,000 PAY RAISE shortly after Obama became Senator?! I'm SURE ::wink wink:: that there was no conflict if interest there?!?!

http://directorblue.blogspot.com/2009/01/chart-michelle-obamas-salary.html

P.S. Link includes links to original stories and a nice little graph/chart for those who automatically discredit a link because its tied to a blog.

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:25 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• The first report was done in August and followed up in Feb. Which is why she is still called a Senator's wife.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:14 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• http://www.suntimes.com/news/politics/obama/1122691,CST-NWS-hosp23.article
    Your first lady created this program while on staff at this hospital.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:17 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• that happens all the time here in busy Cleveland hospitals. the beds get full pretty fast at certain times of the day/night/week/month/year and often you get ambulance to a different hospital a little further away. it has nothing to do with dumping patients but making sure someone that needs care gets it. obviously some one doesn't know how big cities work.

if it means being sent 20 minutes to a different hospital down the road instead of waiting 6+ hours to be sewn up or seen for an emergency, then so be it. I congratulate her on her efforts to make sure people don't die unnecessarily.
    MythicMMM

Answer by MythicMMM at 9:23 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• This does not surprise me not one bit! She is not my first lady, she does NOT represent me. I find her very racist, very entitled, very demonstrative, and a very angry woman......

blessed5x

Answer by blessed5x at 9:25 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• Mythic that happens at all hospitals, especially ones in larger cities.
    Setting up a system where patients can be sent to other hospitals to receive the care they need is actually a good thing but I don't expect the OP to "get it."
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 9:26 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• oh, and different hospitals charge different prices for their care which is why people often get sent to different hospitals as well, because insurance doesn't want to pay "that" price.
    MythicMMM

Answer by MythicMMM at 9:26 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 9:30 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• It's still patient dumping and it's still illegal, no? If the story was good enough to allow the editor to allow it in a Chicago newspaper I would think there was some bite to it. Patient dumping is patient dumping and it's illegal no matter how you word it, if it were you it were happening to I'm sure you would feel as if you were being dumped somewhere else. I'm not surprised at the article or the fact she got a huge pay raise out of the deal. Barry of course needed the money at the time and LaVaughn was willing to get for her man any way she could.
    akinbottom2

Answer by akinbottom2 at 9:44 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• Blessed you sound like all the things you say about the First Lady.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:45 AM on Mar. 3, 2009