Do you believe there are others who simply live to take advantage of other's kind nature?

I am a generous person..I guess that can be a good or bad thing. We have some people who ask for help with watching their child. They promise to pay but never ever do. Ive let it slide a few times. My fault, yes.

Recently I had this child with only 1 change of clothes, and was here for several days and nights, while someone was in the hospital, which I understand, however, not only did I feed this child with MY food, but I made sure this child had the homework done, had clean clothes to wear, etc.

They promised to pay but never did.

Nobody called me for days to 'check in' on their child. My calls went straight to voicemail and were not returned.

I didnt do it for the recognition, but if someone had taken in my children for that time, fed them, clothed, them, etc I would have done SOMETHING to show my appreciation. or at least said THANK YOU, which I never got.

Sorry to rant, but I feel royally kicked in the butt.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:47 AM on Mar. 3, 2009 in General Parenting

• Oh, girl you are soo being USED!!!! You do have a good heart. How could someone drop off their child for days and not call to check on them??? What did they say when they came to pick their child up?? You need to learn how to say NO!! I took me a while to learn too.. But I did.. I felt as though I "owed" someone something.. As I got older I got a little hard hearted..? maybe.. You are a much better person than me.. So, I would like to give you your Thank YOU!!! :)
    honeys_sugamama

Answer by honeys_sugamama at 9:54 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• you sound like a good person. you have a giving nature and a forgiving nature. stop that. lol. we sound alot alike-i try to help everyone in the world, and often get taken advantage of. i have learned that i cant help everyone and eventually i have to put my foot down and say no. good luck
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 9:57 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• Thanks, now they want to know 'what MY problem is' because Ive since stopped talking to these people...lol.

I guess that is the price we pay for being generous. Yup I want to help everyone at the expense of those few that walk on me. It takes all sorts to make the world go round.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:59 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• poor kid!!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:07 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• My entire family is the same way. As teenagers., all of our friends knew when payday was and they would call us that weekend, but then would disappear for a week. Even now, my husband and I have had more than one person stay with us after moving back into town or hitting hard times until they could get back on their feet. However, all of those people no longer talk to us because after 6 weeks we started charging them $75 a week to help with the extra bills. I think some people just don't think about how selfish they are and how that affects others.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 10:19 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• I don't know who to be more sorry for, you or that poor child. I think it is absolutely deplorable that they just left thier child with you for days with no clothes and didnt even check onn the child. They obviously don't deserve to be parents!!! You on the other hand need to tell them that you will no longer ba available to take care of thier child for days on end if they cant have respect enough for you to give you compensation for your time and efforts.
    JandAddysMom

Answer by JandAddysMom at 3:16 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• Yeah they used you and sadly that child is probably experienced some things because their parents don't seem to care enough to actually call. The fact they didn't pay you also shows that they aren't grateful or appreciative of your help.

SylviaNCali

Answer by SylviaNCali at 6:59 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• I'm learning to say no. I've been used and taken advantage of so much. I guess people like us attract people who feel entitled. As for these people, it's a shame they didn't check on their child. I call 10 times if my mom watches them while I go to the doctor  for an hour. I couldn't imagine days! And then not leaving food, and appropriate clothing! That's bordering on neglect. They're lucky they had someone as good as you to take care of their child.

Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 8:49 PM on Mar. 3, 2009