Is your finincial situation affecting your relationship?

I feel like our bad finicial situation, not being able to pay bills and not having money for any fun, is affecting our relationship. We don't spend anytime together going out to eat, to a movie, or anything we enjoy. We just sit at home and do free stuff like watch tv. Anyone else experiencing this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:15 AM on Mar. 3, 2009 in Relationships

• Several years ago we were in the same situation. Every fight we had came from lack of money or what we were spending money on. We were so stressed about it that it almost seemed as if we picked fights with each other all the time. Our financial situation changed and we started making more money than we could spend. Our relationship did improve. We don't go out and do stuff all the time, we never really have. But it gave us financial freedom to buy what we wanted without having to fight about it. There was less resentment and less overall stress. We have a great relationship now. I like to think that money doesn't buy happiness but it does help. Ours was more stress driven though. The lack of security caused a lot of stress about everything and we seemed to take it out on the other person. It turned around eventually and now things are great. Give it time, I am sure things will look up for you.
    DDry

Answer by DDry at 10:20 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• I have before and I know exactly how you feel. Im not married now, but I have to penny pinch but it has become normal and my daughter and i really enjoy eachother. Now we play board games, go to the park, go on walks and hiking trails, bike ride, bake there is a ton of free stuff you can do and still have fun. We love to play sorry or uno and eat popcorn at night. Even still everyone feels the strain of finances and not being able to pay bills is going to stress both you and your husband out and put a damper on things.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 10:22 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• Doesn't money seem to be the problem with alot of couple??? I feel like it does.. I'm with you. Seems like there is never enough!! And the sad thing is...You should have money, when you put pen to paper and bring home and expenses...And you don't go out....And still none!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:26 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• I say try and make the most of what you do have. you dont have to spend money to have fun
    Zarviemom19

Answer by Zarviemom19 at 11:09 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• Quote
    The lack of security caused a lot of stress about everything and we seemed to take it out on the other person

__________

I like this sentence...my fiance thinks it's all about MONEY. It isn't...money doens't buy you happiness but it's also hard to be happy when you're constantly terrified something terrible is going to happen; ie utilities turned off; eviction notice; car repo, etc...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:17 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• There is more free stuff to do then just watch tv, i LOVE playing boardgames with my husband, or going for walks in a park, or double dating- go to a friends house and have a potluck type dinner with them as a double date. Doing small but fun things like this really help the relationship, and no costs so no stress!
    Ginanne

Answer by Ginanne at 12:19 PM on Mar. 4, 2009