He won't listen for anything!

i have a 2 and a half year old boy and he will not listen to me at all, no matter what i do. ive tried time out, spanking, using a stern voice, swatting his hand, getting down to his level and speaking to him, and ive even tried bribing him with things and nothing is working. i have to tell him not to do things constantly and i cant take it any more! help! what can i do to get him to listen???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:17 AM on Mar. 3, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Well it sounds to me liek you are switching it up to much. You need to pick one thing and stick to it a while and then decide wether or not that works for you. Try it for like a week or so.

Iviemg

Answer by Iviemg at 11:26 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• ive stuck with each of these things for a least two weeks, longer with some, and nothing is working.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:52 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• My son is two also. I know he understand me and what i'm saying. I've tried time out, talking it over with him and im not a hands on mom, so not smacking. But lately, ive literally been making him sit on my lap and holding him down. eventually he eases up and stops fighting me! and i sit him beside me and make him set there. Then hes good for awhile lol and starts in again. We have just purchased a chair just for time out.. we will see how this goes.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:56 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• Welcome to the terrible twos, lol. I would say just pick one, whatever seemed to have the most effect, maybe, and be consistent. What I would do sometimes, too, is send him to bed. He got the idea that mommy thought he needed a nap when he misbehaved. He hates taking a nap, so it was a pretty good deterrent. I would lock the door from the outside (standing outside of it the whole time, to make sure nothing happened), until he settled down. Some people would say that's a horrible thing to do, but he was safe, he wasn't hurt, and he learned. It's not like I put him in a dark closet, I tucked him into bed. He just always jumped out again. And sometimes the problem was that he was tired, even though it wasn't nap time. Then, after the original tantrum, he would crawl back into bed and go to sleep, and would behave much better when he got up again. That would screw up his schedule a little, though.
    tyrelsmom

Answer by tyrelsmom at 12:40 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• Try taking a wooden spoon to his little thigh and see how long he attitude last. My son started acting up.. and spanking and NO's werent working, now all i have to do is show him a wooden spoon and he stops what he is doing!!
    UAFwife

Answer by UAFwife at 12:32 AM on Mar. 4, 2009