How many ultrasounds have you had and why?

How far along are you too?
I've had 4 and I'm 36 weeks..... one at the beginning to get dates, one for a thyroid study just to confirm dates, one for anatomy at 20 wks and one in the ER. Today I'm going in for number 5 to see why she's measruing big and to check her!

AshJoe05

Asked by AshJoe05 at 10:56 AM on Mar. 3, 2009 in Pregnancy

• We only had 2.
    The first one was to check baby & to find out sex. Well baby (dd) didnt want to show us her stuff so about a month or 2 later I ask the dr. if I could get another one to find out the sex. he said sure. as much as the nurse tried DD wasnt showing any clues, so we ended up having a suprise baby. Next time I get pregnant I dont wanna know the sex (so im sure the baby will be parading his/her goods around on the monitor! lol)
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 11:04 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• So far I've had two, but I'm supposed to have another one next week. It just depends. The more high risk the pregnancy the more ultra sounds you get.
    gettingfat89

Answer by gettingfat89 at 11:12 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• ive had like 10 because i had complications my first 3 months!! i was bleeding and with lots of pain.. so they had to do too many ultrasounds but thank god everything turn ok.. im 5 months now and im expecting a healthy little girl
    bryanmommy17

Answer by bryanmommy17 at 11:17 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• i have had 4 with this pregnancy first one was at 7 weeks do too sharp pains and they wanted too make sure baby wasn't in the tube second was at 13 weeks for some genetic testing i believe third was at 18 weeks for the normal reasons also did a 4d too cute also had a internal at that time due to first daughter cause me to go in to pre-labor lots of times then at 23or24 weeks they had me go back for a second internal too make sure all was ok and they did a 4th regular ultra sound and a 4d all is good with her
    greeniemommy

Answer by greeniemommy at 11:43 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• that seems like an awful lot of u/s....

I have had 2. I would have had only one had I not gone to the ER with severe bleeding but not miscarrying..

I wont be getting anymore, unless it becomes medically necessary.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 11:44 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• Well celtic, I guess having a history of a stillborn qualifies them checking my baby often as medically necessary...
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 11:52 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• I just said *it seems* like a lot. It still seems like a lot, regardless of medical history lol. I had more than my share of u/s with my first daughter. I understand if there is a need for them, that's not what I meant at all, but it does seem like a lot.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 11:59 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• Yeah, it is a lot I guess. But I'd rather know that things are going well then have something unexpected pop up at the end..... ya know...
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 12:32 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• With my 1st baby I had a total of 15 u/s. And with this pregnancy I had 5 total. I am high risk.
    jessduncan77

Answer by jessduncan77 at 1:02 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• I am 14 weeks and have had 4 already! I had a free one at the clinic where I got my pregnancy test and then another at the doctors office the next day. Another about a week later in the ER for spotting and then one at my last drs appt. I am having twins and my dr seems to do one everytime I go in for a visit because the doppler is "too hard with twins". I will be having another at 20 weeks for anatomy and then I am supposed to be getting one a month starting after 27 weeks. I had 2 with my first pregnancy and as much as I love being able to see them this often I think it's too much and I am trying to switch doctors!
    TiffanyReed

Answer by TiffanyReed at 1:34 PM on Mar. 3, 2009