Can a blood test be wrong?

Yesterday my doctor took a blood test to see it I was pregnant. Its only been a week since I had sex two days before my ovulation. Could the blood test be wrong because it is too early or am I not pregnant. I'm supposed to get my period next Monday, the 9th.

Cj605

Asked by Cj605 at 11:05 AM on Mar. 3, 2009 in Pregnancy

• It may be too early, I wouldn't have gotten the test yet but I'm not sure how early it is detectable... should have asked the doc that!
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 11:09 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• False negatives can happen, but less frequently in a blood test. If you dont' start your period, then do another test
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:09 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• She told me to wait and see if I get my period because it could be too early...
    Cj605

Answer by Cj605 at 11:09 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• did they do a qualitative or quantitative test. A qualitative just says yes hcg is there or no it isn't the qualitative gives a number. If the number isn't high enough it would just be a negative. Two weeks after conception the number should be over 25. Which would be a positive test but before that the number would be really low. and might not register. Try again in a week and it should register.

babyfat5

Answer by babyfat5 at 11:35 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• i would have too say it was done way too soon i would wait a few days and then get one of those early test and try taking that and see what it says
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:36 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• I showed up negative on a blood test at 4.5 weeks with my first. Showed up negative on a urine test at almost 8 weeks. That pregnancy had to be confirmed by ultrasound. That's uncommon, though. But yours, I think, was too early. You were only 5 days past ovulation, so 5 days past when the egg would have been fertilized. Blood tests aren't supposed to pick it up until, I believe, 7 to 9 days.
    tyrelsmom

Answer by tyrelsmom at 12:05 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• I also been feeling a little crampy. Could this mean I'm getting my period or I could be pregnant?
    Cj605

Answer by Cj605 at 1:53 PM on Mar. 3, 2009