passing through breast milk??

if u have a cold/flue can u pass it through breast milk? i am getting really sick and breast feed... can he get sick ??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:11 AM on Mar. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• As far as I know, NO, your child can't catch your virus from breastfeeding. You can, however, pass cold meds through your milk, though how much of that affects the baby I dont' know. If he gets sick, it won't be from breastfeeding, but will be just from being in contact with you, that's just how viruses spread. Best of luck and hope you feel better
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:14 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• I hear it is best to cont. breastfeeding while sick because your antibodies can pass thru. If your baby gets sick it will be from being around you. wash your hands alot!!
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 11:18 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• It's better TO nurse when you are sick because what you DO pass to baby are the antibodies. If you are sick, your baby has already been exposed to whatever you have. If S/he gets sick, it's simply from being in the same household as you.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 11:20 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• No need to stop nursing, and there are plenty of meds safe for nursing. (careful, some may dry up milk lol). You will pass the antibodies on to the baby though, which can help her not get sick, my dd never got sick when I got sick! :)
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 11:22 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• What you get will inevitably be passed on to baby no matter how you feed them BUT the best part about breastfeeding is that your antibodies produced to fight off the virus is passed to baby allowing baby to either avoid the virus all together or shorten and lessen the intensity of the virus. Breastfeeding is the BEST thing you can do for your child when you are sick! I hope you feel better! Also if you are exclusively pumping make sure to feed baby the milk from now instead of stored to allow the antibodies to help baby out.

mama_l

Answer by mama_l at 11:23 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• Keep on breastfeeding. Your body will be making antibodies agains what you have, and if baby does get it whatever it is will not be as bad. I have nursed with everything, and my dd got a stuffy nose, and slight cough...LOL I sounded like I was dying.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 11:33 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• The worst thing to do when you are sick is to stop breastfeeding. First, baby has already been exposed before you even realize how sick you are, next, continued breastfeeding will give her antibodies to protect her form the illness. If you stop breastfeeding you will take those antibodies away, almost like taking away medicine that will help!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 11:54 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• Nursing is the BEST thing you can do right now. The virus will not pass through the milk, but the antibodies you are making will helping the keep the babe fight off the virus if LO gets it from the normal routes. When my first was 3 months old I got a terrible flu and my FIL asked the same question. Turns out everyone else around us got it EXCEPT my LO and I attribute most of that to the BM and antibodies he was getting from me the whole time. DO be careful with taking meds though.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 12:33 PM on Mar. 3, 2009