How do I get my 3yr old to calm down and be good?

I have a 3yr old and a 5month old, both are boys. It may just be he's craving attention. I also live w/ my mom and step dad right now so I feel like everyone is always telling him to stop doing something. What can I do with him or what can I have him do besides watching cartoons to keep him entertained and out of trouble?

MIA-PIA

Asked by MIA-PIA at 11:22 AM on Mar. 3, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• turn the tv off and spend 1 on 1 time with him daily. Be consistant with the rules. They act out more when they think they can get away with it
    heather.darin

Answer by heather.darin at 11:24 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• I agree with heather.darin, You have to stay on top of the rules and at leats put aside an hour a day just to spend with him. Believe me I know I'm going thru it with my 3 year old son.
    LND

Answer by LND at 11:36 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• Coloring together, reading, teaching him his numbers and letters, crafts, etc. Too many "no's" make for a rebellious kid. I find when I just slow down and focus on my 3 yr old, he is an angel! Good luck!
    evangmama

Answer by evangmama at 12:49 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• Boys will be boys! They are naturally rowdy, lol.
    I know it's tough to live with your mom and they aren't used to little kids anymore. I had a boy with an older guy who's only kid was 19. He's still trying to adapt to our rowdy 4 yr old son. I tell him to lighten up and let him be a boy.
    If your son here's no too much he will no longer listen.....to keep him busy get out the play dough along with accesories for the play dough it's great one on one time! Also puzzles, the 24 piece variety. Sticker books and preschool work books. Also long baths with bath paints and other toys are a nice way to kill time.
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 12:59 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• Find time to let him be active in an appropriate way either indoors or outdoors so he gets to work off some energy. Play hide and seek, dance to music, play movement games, let him make things with play dough( kids will spend a long time with this one), make collages with paper, glue, pom poms, etc. Take a walk outside when wheather permits, go to a park.

I you think that his behavior is for attention, make sure that you give him three times as much praise and rewards for his good behavior instead of praise for his bad behavior. The one he gets the most attention for will be the one you see more of. "Catch him being good" and let him know specifically what you are pleased with. Don't just say, "You're being a good boy". Tell him how he is being good. Don't just say "Stop running" or "Stop throwing toys", Use positive words toTell him what you want him to do instead. Tell him, "I want you to walk in the house"
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 5:28 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• Besides spending more time with him you should teach him the rules you want him to follow. and by that i don't mean just to tell him what the rules are but also explain them to him and the consequences of not following them. this process helped me with my 2 year old. Also make a chart with the rules and whenever he follows them prize him with fun stickers from one of the cartoons he likes.
    paufonseca

Answer by paufonseca at 6:13 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• For a child who is 3, you can't just keep telling him to stop doing things. Instead, tell him what he SHOULD do. Ex: If he is hitting the cat, tell him to pet the cat gently, and show him how. If he is throwing a ball in the house, tell him to roll it on the floor. If he is running around and making lots of noise in the house, take him outside to play. Then he will use up his energy and be more likely to play inside quietly afterwards.
    momo8child

Answer by momo8child at 2:55 AM on Mar. 6, 2009