Education television ? Good OR Bad

Hi moms ! What do you think about education television? Do you think this is harmful?I know some moms say no television but why not ?

hollinshead

Asked by hollinshead at 11:29 AM on Mar. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Its much better than other television. If they are going to watch they should at least be learning. However they should never just be sitting in front of the tv for an extended period of time. Thats just lazy parenting and creates a lazy child. Children should be playing, reading and using their imaginations.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 11:35 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• If a child is going to watch, it should be in small doses (1/2 hour tops per day for under 18 months, 1 hour tops each day for under 4) and it should be worthwhile.
    Some of the junk that passes for "children's TV" is really sad - "Yo Gabba Gabba" comes to mind. And some of the stuff that passes for "educational" is also sad - "Little Einsteins" comes to mind there.
    But TV can expose a child to new situations, new words, new concepts. It can teach the alphabet (Leap Frogs Letter Factory DVD is great, it can teach sign language (My Baby Can Talk series), it can teach gentle life lessons (Barney). It can also harm (My Baby Can Read program and shows for older kids and adults.

The best way kids learn is through play with someone older - like you. If you do use TV (and I do), stick with PBS and a few Nick Jr. shows and try to watch with your child. Explain what's happening, help them follow the story and learn.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:42 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• It is not just "some moms" who say no TV. The American Academy of Pediatrics says no TV for children under 2 years old, and then only very limited amounts. Why? Multiple studies show that the more children watch TV the lower their reading scores, and the more likely they are to become obese. The more TV children watch under 2 the more likely they are to later be diagnosed with ADHD.
    If you are going to allow TV, of course quality educational programs are better then some other "junk". However, ANY TV time takes away from the child exploring, learning, and interacting the way they are supposed to for proper development.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 11:52 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• I see absolutely nothing wrong with allowing my daughter to watch Sesame Street as she eats her breakfast in the morning. Its an hour a day and it isn't going to turn her into a couch potato. She is 8 months old and if Elmo makes her smile, I am going to allow her to smile. IMO, Sesame Street teaches a lot of great fundamental learning skills and I see no problem with allowing her to watch it, even though she is under the age of 2.
    MommyRust

Answer by MommyRust at 11:57 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• There was just a major study about this:
    http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1882560,00.html?xid=rss-topstories
    Here is what the authors of the research said:
    "Although our study showed no evidence of harm, parents should be aware that infants watching TV may be at risk of obesity, sleep disturbances and possibly attention problems. We don't want this study to be viewed as a license for babies to watch TV because they won't be harmed. It might be that the effects don't show up until children are older."
    evwsquared

Answer by evwsquared at 1:49 PM on Mar. 3, 2009