Finally!! For Pit Lover and Haters

Here's a news editorial that finally completely covers the "Pit Bull" issue with truth and real statistics.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGairk18L8g&eurl=http://www.hi5.com/friend/p91616361--Amstaff-Forum_---html

To all the people who have expressed fears about the breed, was this enlightening?

Sharon7772

Asked by Sharon7772 at 11:37 AM on Mar. 3, 2009 in Pets

• I think its the owners who make them "bad" not the dogs themselves...
    Briyawna

Answer by Briyawna at 11:38 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• I just ran into a pit this morning. I manage a dog kennel, next door to the clinic of the Vet who owns the kennel. I had to go drop something off, when I came back into the waiting area, there was this obese brindle pit. He was adorable. He pulled on his leash and came over for lovey's. haha. He was all about "take me home with you lady". haha. He was the friendliest thing....to a stranger even!! He was so cute....but a big fatty.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 11:51 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• So please explain to me why people always fight pits and not golden retrievers or heck a daushound fight even.

I know, its because when these dogs DO decide to get mean (of course they will not all do this) But if they do, they can kill you.

Havent heard of any daushound related deaths lately.
    People who fight for the "rights" of pits crack me up, they are animals, just like any other and you can never truely know what they might do next. ANY of them.
    All this from a person who really likes dogs in general.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:55 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• People fight pit bulls because they were genetically bred to fight other animals, as were OTHER TERRIERS (Even the small ones). That's why to this day pit bulls can often be dog aggressive. However this does NOT translate over to people. Pit bulls actually were the first choice for dog fights because they would attack another animal but no matter how cruelly they would remain always friendly and loyal to their humans. Educate yourself:

http://www.pbrc.net/breedinfo.html

aurorabunny

Answer by aurorabunny at 11:58 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• That was supposed to say no matter how cruelly they were TREATED.
    aurorabunny

Answer by aurorabunny at 11:59 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• auroabunny: I actually have read about it. Especially since I find pit lovers particularly cute. But you said it yourself. They were genetically bread to fight, YES you said other animals, but who knows what goes on in their brains. We can only make a best guess, and a small child might sometimes appear to a pit as a small animal.

Your statement DOES NOT translate over to people is kind of sweeping. Maybe the statement most of the time does not translate over to people would be more fitting.
    The attacks that I have seen and read about (not speaking of fighter dogs) were peoples home pets who probably would have been on here bashing me about my lack of love for the breed. Yet, their dog attacked.
    One I remember happened several years ago but It stuck out in my mind. A young girl about 2 was bitten on the head by the FAMILY pit, who stayed inside. She was blinded in one eye because of it. I have heard more like this.
    Anonymous

• If I had the choice I would rather my 4 lb chihuahua turn on me than a 250 lb genetically bread to fight pit.
    Anonymous

• Very good answer Aurorabunny!! Couldn't have said it better myself!

And didn't the editorial say that, before pits were available, people used Rottweilers, Dobermans, and anything else they could get their hands on, and will again if Pits are outlawed?? I guess Anon 11:55 wasn't paying attention!!

By the way Anon, I have a kennel full of American Stafforsdhire Terriers that ADORE my son and even lay across his lap in his stroller at Dog Shows, but my neighbors Dachsund has come running over and gone for my Son's face several times just because he was walking around! He is only 15 months old and has never done anything to that dog. If my neighbor wasn't my friend I would have killed that Dachsund by now.So please don't tell me Dachsunds aren't dangerous. She could miss his face and hit his jugular very easily.
    Sharon7772

Answer by Sharon7772 at 12:14 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

•  

Actually I DO know. I do pit bull rescue, work in animal welfare and am extremely educated on the breed. Of course there are pit bulls that attack people, just like there are dogs of every other breed that attack people. In reality though, the American Pit Bull Terrier ranks higher on the American Temperament Test Society's list (for good temperament) than Golden Retrievers and many other dogs that are often viewed as ideal family pets.

Did you know that Cocker Spaniels are the breed most often behind dog bites on children? I don't blame you for saying what you're saying, you don't know any better and you're going off of what you see on the TV. Check out this article on media bias and maybe you'll understand a little better.

http://www.animalfarmfoundation.org/topic.php?topic=96

aurorabunny

Answer by aurorabunny at 12:15 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• If you would like to gain a better understanding of the breed and have questions I would be happy to answer them.

aurorabunny