Anyone else ever heard of a child having vaginal adhesions?

Just took my dd to the Dr for a possible UTI and Dr said she had vaginal adhesions and it was VERY common and could be treated with a cream.

He said it was from bubble baths (which she has never had) or from really soapy water. It causes some skin to grow together and can disturb the urine flow, which explains why her pee runs down her leg when she is sitting on the potty.

I have never heard of it before. Sounds painful? But she seems ok, just irritated by it I guess.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:38 AM on Mar. 3, 2009 in Kids' Health

• My daughter had that and we used the cream and it went away.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 11:43 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• My daughter had a labial adhesion too. BUT my pedi didn't say it's from bubble baths, that makes no sense. It happens when infants get older because there hormones change. My daughter's cleared up on it's own. My pedi doesn't even prescribe the cream unless it shows signs of getting worse or not even clearing up.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 12:15 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• It is common. UTI's can be caused by bubble baths, scented soaps, even scented laundry detergent. I've not heard of bubble bath causing adhesions though.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:00 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• Well bubble bath is a form of soap.
    MrsRKP7

Answer by MrsRKP7 at 1:27 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• It's not uncommon and can be treated with premarin cream.
    Anonymous

• My daughter had it and it cleared up on its own. We found out when she was around 15 months old and my 2 years old it was gone.
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 7:23 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• we were just told my daughter has a labial adhesion. when i researched it, the common causes listed were bad diaper rash, being in wet/dirty diapers, soaps/bubble baths, pretty much anything that could irritate her. the area gets irritated and raw, then it closes like any cut would heal. kyrie was on antibiotics and had a horrible rash, no matter how often she was changed or how much cream we put on her. i'm guessing that is why this happened to her. we have been using the cream for about a week now. hopefully it will work soon!
    kyriesmommy13

Answer by kyriesmommy13 at 9:59 AM on Jun. 16, 2009