How to get the mucus out of his nose...

My 9 month old baby's nose is jam packed with boogers and other mucous. He'll scream and cry if I try to hold him down long enough to do but eventually he stops so I can finally clean it out so he can breathe. The problem is, my SOs parents think I'm torturing the kid and they'll try to grab him from me. It's driving me crazy when I'm trying to do something with him and they snatch him from me. There have been times where I've had to give him medicine he doesn't like, clip his nails, or clean his nose and they grab him from me because "he doesn't like it." They live with us *sigh* and I don't feel like I can do things without being gawked at. Would you say something?

LaurenKaye29

Asked by LaurenKaye29 at 11:45 AM on Mar. 3, 2009 in Just for Fun

• That def not torture when the poor little guy cant breathe! My son had allergies from the moment he was born . I was always having to suck out his nose. I mean at 9 months I couldnt get my son to blow when i told him to blow his nose into a klenex. So pretty much you have to! its for his health. tell them to get over it! If your son doesnt wanna listen and there are things that need to be done you have to make him! Them pulling him away from you is making it way worse. they really need to stop !!!!
    JmgBlair

Answer by JmgBlair at 11:48 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• I have allergies and I think my son does too. He's kind of sneezy and his nose gets stuffed easily.
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 11:51 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• Tell them that they raised their kids, now let you raise yours. If his nose is clogged it needs to be cleaned. Sinus drainage can cause him to get sick. I would definately say something to them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:55 AM on Mar. 3, 2009

• I got a battery operated nasal aspirator. I bought it at Walgreens. It works awesome and makes sucking my baby's nose way easier
    Anonymous

• Put him in a bathroom with you, while the shower is running on the hottest setting possible. This forms a "steam room", thus allowing the plugged nose to become runny. It usually starts oozing out, and can be cleaned with a bulb syringe or just a tissue would do.
    sweetsea07

Answer by sweetsea07 at 12:31 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• I know it sounds gross but I use to suck my babies boogers out with my mouth....gross? Maybe but it worked a heck of a lot better then the bulb syringes! Then I'd just spit it into a tissue. The way I looked at it is it's only baby boogers. Now if I still did it to this day, that would be another story....
    Anonymous

• my DD is the same age & we have to sucker her nose ALL the time. she screams bloodly murder. thats just the way it is! they need to back off...especially if they live with you. my mom cant be around when we do the necessary "bad" things to my DD b/c it makes her feel bad, but she doesnt interfere.

maybe you can lock your door while you do it, or wait till they leave? we recently bought little noses saline & bulb & my DD screams a little bit less. we also got johnson's vabor bath...it helps clear her up so that we dont have to sucker her too often. good luck!!
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 12:37 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• All babies I have been around scream when you suck that stuff out, I don't imagine it is pleasant, but it's necessary. You need to say something to them. That would piss me off. BUT, you should NOT be doing it to your child ALL THE TIME; you will cause his nose to get inflamed and just make things worse. Good luck =]
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 1:38 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• EWW...sucking the boogers out with the mouth...yuck. I don't get grossed out if its in my hand but the mouth...yuck
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 1:46 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• Yeah, my little one does the same thing. I have to hold her down and support her head otherwise she hurts herself. She'll yell when I clip her nails too so you aren't alone. Go in your room and just lock the door when you do it. Since they are SO's parents have him have a talk with them about bounderies. Have him help them understand that you are doing what you are doing to help your baby not hurt and that he supports what you are doing. There is NOTHING worse than grandparents undermining the authority of a parent!
    mommalady

Answer by mommalady at 1:58 PM on Mar. 3, 2009