My Daughter is 19 months and shes still on the bottle

Does anyone know some ways i can try to get her off of it with out her keeping us up till she gets one? pls let me know ur opinion.

jennie13

Asked by jennie13 at 12:07 PM on Mar. 3, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• All kids are different. You have to decide what is best for YOUR child.
    Mine really needs to suck to slow down and relax. She uses a cup just fine all day long but at bedtime - forget it. Yes, I could take it away and let her scream for hours, waking multiple times all night long to scream some more, in the hopes that as the weeks drag on she'll forget about it. Been there, tried that, decided it wasn't for us.
    Bottles do NOT harm teeth if they only contain water. The AAD wants bottles gone by age 4. The AAP gives a guideline of 1 simply because they want the child using a sippy by then. Fine. Mine is. And she gets a bottle of water at bedtime. When she is ready, she'll give them up.

I've worked WITH my child instead of forcing her into a predefined mold. THAT is parenting. Sticking to some arbitrary guideline when it's not right for your child is NOT parenting, it's blind obedience.

kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:21 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• You're the parent. Just take it away. You are damaging her teeth and oral development by spoiling her. Just throw out all the bottles and give her a sippy. When she gets thirsty enough, she WILL drink. Sure, you will loose some sleep but would you rather get more sleep and continue damaging your child?
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 12:10 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• Don't give it to her. She can't get it herself.
    Anonymous