Is the movie Fireproof something a person who is NOT Christian or religious could enjoy?

I think the question sums up what I want to know. I'd like to see a movie about improving a marriage but I don't want any obvious, heavy-handed sermonizing. Is it pretty much a movie only that would only appeal to Christians? I'd especially like an answer from someone who is not Christian or not religious.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:16 PM on Mar. 3, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Yes, it is.
    Anonymous

• While it doesn't have the heavy-handedness that most Christian movies, I can honestly say that those that do not like Christian movies will see it that way. It preaches about marriage from a Christian standpoint. Its most common Christian theme, in the movie, is a push for "You should love your spouse as Christ loved the church." It is a GREAT movie, though, IMO.
    MommyRust

Answer by MommyRust at 12:22 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• Kirk Cameron stars in it. I know that he has become a heavy-handed, holy-rolling, holier-than-thou christian and now only makes that type of movie. If you are okay with god being brought into everything, you will probably love it.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 12:23 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• Yes it is. It DOES mention having a relationship with Jesus but it's much deeper than that. I think you will find it to be a very moving, encouraging movie. I watched it twice and cried both times.
    jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 12:32 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• Yes I encourage anyone to see it.
    I recently bought this movie and it was good. Whether it helps your marriage or not depends on how desperate you are to save it.

Witchqueen, Wow such a heavy judgmental word against Kirk Cameron.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 1:01 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• I love the movie and Yes it is about God and that is what makes a relationship work is with God... I would also encourage everyone to see it like my sister shaneagle said

hinson7169

Answer by hinson7169 at 2:19 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• I'm not Christian and I've been waiting for it to come out on DVD. I've heard that aside from being Christian it has a good message about marriage.
    JackalsWife

Answer by JackalsWife at 2:43 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• I think everyone whose married should see the movie. The Love Dare is beautiful in that it teaches you to put your spouse ahead of yourself - which yes is a Christian concept but I think a universal one.

The thing about Kirk Cameron is uncalled for, he only preaches love, how is that holier than thou?
    Praying

Answer by Praying at 2:47 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• I've seen some videos of Kirk Carmeron kind of getting in people's faces with his preaching. I think that may be what witchqueen is referring to. That kind of behavior is uncalled for. But he does a good job in this movie.
    jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 3:07 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• "that is what makes a relationship work is with God"

Thank you for your answer, hinson.

That what you said is what my question is referring to. If the movie basically says that you need God to have a happy marriage then it probably isn't for me. If there are certain higher principles it talks about and that any person could learn from, fine. But if it's all about how you can't have a real successful marriage without Jesus, then I wouldn't like to see it. That's what I wanted to know.
    Anonymous