How can I remove wallpaper from a bathroom wall with tiles underneath?

We've recently rented an adorable apartment in an older 2 family home, and it's got more character than I could ever imagine. The only problem is that the bathroom is absolutely atrocious. My biggest qualm is that half of the bathroom is covered in disgusting textured wallpaper that is peeling at the seams and completely discolored. I can see purple tiles beneath the wallpaper, and honestly as the lesser of two evils I'd rather rip down the paper and expose the tiles. So two questions actually... how can I remove the wallpaper from the tiled wall, and do you have any suggestions on how to spruce up ugly colored tiles that I unfortunately can't remove or replace?

corrie0227

Asked by corrie0227 at 12:17 PM on Mar. 3, 2009 in Home & Garden

• As pp stated above, but I use a water/fabric softner mixture on the wall paper ( I am in the same process now with our dining room) It had horrid thick purple triple texture wallpaper...
    Now I am in the process of using the mixture to gently scrape off the remaining paper...
    As for decorating the tile, try any of these ideas, stenciling, acrylic tile painting, paper decales that apply with water and a sponge..
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 12:33 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• First peel off the top layer of the wallpaper. It will be easiest at the peeling edges. After you peel it off you will see the bottom layer left behind. Get a spray bottle full of water and spray sections at a time. Let it sit for a few seconds and it should peel right off. It's kind of messy, but it works. All that fancy stuff from the hardware store is expensive and works no better than what I just told you. We had a bathroom that had hideous wallpaper and we had everything peeled off in about 45 minutes!
    sidzwif

Answer by sidzwif at 12:27 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• i would use a clothing steamer to release the glue. then scrub, scrub, scrub!!!
    shanizlla

Answer by shanizlla at 2:17 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• Oh has the person you are renting it from said you can take the wall paper off ? Sometimes they are really anal about not messing with the interior of the home no matter how hideous it looks. My land lord would just come over and do it himself. Saves me time and energy. His reasoning is that people have asked about things like that and then done some serious damage to the walls, tiles etc.
    lady-J-Rock

Answer by lady-J-Rock at 11:09 AM on Mar. 4, 2009