How do i know what kind of bed ill need?

My husband and I are getting ready to be foster/adopt parents. I am wanting to get stuff ready but my ? is how do i know wheat kind of bed ill need.

manda1433

Asked by manda1433 at 12:24 PM on Mar. 3, 2009 in Adoption

• Depends on what age you plan on taking if you aren't taking any babies then I would get a full size bed to accomodate any age or size child you might end up with.
    heather.darin

Answer by heather.darin at 12:26 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• What age child are you getting? Babies need cribs or even a pack n play would work. Toddlers (at least 1 year +) can go into a toddler bed or a regular bed with rails (or a friend of mine moved her toddler directly into a queen bed. She didn't use the bed frame, she just put the bed directly on the floor pushed into a corner and pulled the box spring out about a half of a foot to create a step for the toddler to use to get into bed. You could also put a bed rail on if needed.) Any older kid would be fine in a twin or whatever. Good Luck. There should be more people like you in this world....willing to take children into their homes. I wish you all the best.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 12:29 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• I dont want younger than 5 months old and was thinking about a twun bed and getting a rail for the side. Iff i should get a smaller one just getting a pack and play.
    manda1433

Answer by manda1433 at 12:31 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• Your licensing agency should be able to answer these questions for you and that way you'll be certain to meet their requirements (as requirements differ from state to state and county to county sometimes).

You won't want to go to the expense of procuring items that don't meet the criteria, not that any of the suggestions you are receiving are not helpful. A quick call to the licensor of your foster/adopt program will provide you with a listing of items that will be required to have on hand prior to placement.
    PortAngeles1969

Answer by PortAngeles1969 at 6:32 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• i would just get a twin size bed and a playpen or crib that way you are ready for whatever age you get.
    mamaof2boys148

Answer by mamaof2boys148 at 12:21 PM on Mar. 4, 2009

• I would put money aside and when you find out what age the child will be, go out an buy one. I highly suggest a toddler bed for the "interum" age. I feel much safer with my LO in a toddler bed than I would with her in a twin. If the child will be under 1 year, you'll need a crib. Look into a convertable, that goes from crib to low twin.
    IZs_mommy

Answer by IZs_mommy at 1:18 PM on Mar. 5, 2009