• In the Spotlight:

at what age did your kiddos outgrow naps?

my oldest is 4 1/2 yrs old and fights naps so bad! i don't just mean arguing, she will straight up refuse some days and then spend the entire time yelling from her room for me or instigate issues while her brothers try to fall asleep! (i have a 2 1/2 yr old and 4 mo old that NEED naps at nap time!) any advice/hints?

XoXoKnB4ever

Asked by XoXoKnB4ever at 12:36 PM on Mar. 3, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My 2 year old takes a nap only once or twice a week - and that's when he literally passes out on his own. If I try to put him down for a nap he fights it like I was trying to force him to eat slugs.
    cat0325

Answer by cat0325 at 12:39 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• I have heard most kids outgrow naps by the time they are 3 1/2 to 4. My son is 3 yrs, 3 months and he still takes them, though not everyday. I almost think your 4 1/2 yr old is done with naps.
    evangmama

Answer by evangmama at 12:39 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• she is so so grumpy by 5 or 6pm if she skips a nap! she's whiney and high strung anyway and no nap amplifies it! maybe i'm just not ready to forfeit my quiet time yet? grrr LOL
    XoXoKnB4ever

Answer by XoXoKnB4ever at 12:44 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• My 4 yr old was done with having by age 2
    My 1st 3 kids were also done by age 3. Now that they are almost adults they have gone back to naps, lol
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 12:48 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• our house requires naps till 5. however at around 4.5 they are allowed to have quiet time instead of naps of they so choose. quiet time is required for all family members as long as you live under my roof and are at home during nap time. it ensures that everyone has a chance to relax for a few hours and it keeps the house quiet while the little ones sleep. why not try quiet time? let her know that she can look at books, play with toys watch tv or whatever, but she has to be quiet or else she will have to take a nap. put the power in her corner and then allow her to have a few warnings in the beginning. GL
    vbongard

Answer by vbongard at 12:49 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• I just stopped my DD4's nap. It was such a battle and after finally getting her down she'd sleep all afternoon and then stay up until 10pm. Since I took away the naps its been much more pleasant during the day and her bedtime is no later than 8-8:30 and she's out all night. My DS2 still naps every day though, TG!
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 1:03 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• both of my boys stopped taking regular naps at 2. Of course they can lay down up to a certain point during the day, but I have beyond given up on any real naps!!
    shanizlla

Answer by shanizlla at 2:00 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• My oldest two gave them up at 3 years. My 2 year old still takes one.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 2:14 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• I'd try quiet time. If she won't stay in her room without screaming (which is bad for the other two kids), maybe a quiet "big girl" activity? Even a quiet movie just for her? If you go with the movie, you may be able to enforce a "laying quietly on the couch" type rule. At least you'll get a quiet break too.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:09 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• well my 4 year old still tacks naps most of the time but i dont make her.
    the rule is she dont have to nap but why the 2 littel ones are naping she hase to be quite and if shes not then she hase to take a nap.
    youngmmom

Answer by youngmmom at 6:46 PM on Mar. 3, 2009