Is she hungry? Or just testing her limits?- Bad behavior that needs correcting

Yesterday I was home from work with my DD (16.5 months old) and she kept going to the fridge like she was hungry... when I would open the fridge, she would just stand there and whine for stuff.. like cheese or yogurt. I ended up giving her so much cheese yesterday it's embarassing. If I feed her something else, she'll keep going to the fridge until she gets whatever it is she wants. My question is, is she really hungry? Or just testing me? and what can I do to stop the 75 trips to the fridge a day.

Mom2vanna

Asked by Mom2vanna at 12:37 PM on Mar. 3, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Good luck, and if you find an answer let me know! My 17 month old son just started this a few week's ago.
    StifflersMom82

Answer by StifflersMom82 at 12:38 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• I think she is testing you. I have a 14 month old little boy and I'm starting to notice little things he does that is testing me. Just stop giving in. Feed her breakfast, lunch and dinner with few snacks in between and that's it. If she knows you will give her what she wants she won't stop.
    sidzwif

Answer by sidzwif at 12:39 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• probably a little bit of both, she's getting ready for a growth spurt. But I wouldn't keep going to the fridge everytime she whines. If she is eating everything you give her, then I would say growth spurt. Also, make her use WORDS, not pointing, not whinning. You know what your daughter is capable of saying. Do you have set meal times??? Where she sits in her high chair or a table and eats, or is she a grazer? My daughter was a grazer. She ate little bits ALOT, now my son was a pig, he ate a ton of food ALL the time lol.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 12:41 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• Try giving her just veggies whenever she goes to the fridge. She'll catch on that she better be really hungry because when she whines, the only thing coming out of the magic box is something green.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 12:43 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• my friend has a 17 month old who LOVES to eat!! She was having trouble with her daughter seeing food that was out and pointing at it and whining until she gave her some. She decided to only leave food out that was healthy (fruit, crackers, etc..). So that the food her daughter would spot would be ok to give her a lot of...not to say cheese isn't healthy but obviously it's not good to eat a ton of it for digestive reasons.
    Maybe try leaving some healthy food on your counter so when she goes to the fridge you can kind of direct her to the counter and see if she is interested in that?? Or put healthy foods at the front of the fridge so she sees those first..... But I think you need to put your foot down to constantly opening to fridge and letting her pick stuff out - she's probably not really hungry and just thinks it's fun.
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 12:43 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• I put a few sippy cups in there for my 2yo. now she goes to the fridge (usually because she is bored) and will see her drinks and pick one. it worked great to curb those bordom munchies.
    vbongard

Answer by vbongard at 12:46 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• wow guys these are great answers thanks so much! I think she's a grazer eating style.. little meals but at set simes, about every 2-4 hours
    Mom2vanna

Answer by Mom2vanna at 12:52 PM on Mar. 3, 2009