OCD

I obsess over diabetes. I had a diabetes scare a few years ago, since then I eat better and exercise more, but I cannot for the life of me stop worrying about it. I think and or worry about every single day. It has become a constant voice in my head and it drives me crazy!! I try not to do it but it is always there!!! My grandma and great grandma died from it and my uncle has it now too. It is a fear i have and it won't go away. Anyone else obsess over (i know you do) this kind of thing, or anything else? Any advice on how to freakin stop?

GMR

Asked by GMR at 12:41 PM on Mar. 3, 2009 in Health

• But I just make sure I eat better and make smarter choices. I exercise most everyday, but I injured my back on the job last week which has slowed me down recently. But don't let the thought of maybe getting something control your life. You are in control of your life and you can make positive choices to avoid diseases and conditions. Of course it could still happen, but you could also be in a car accident, or get hit by lightning. We can't control everything, but making the right choices for what we can is all we can do. Live life to it's fullest rather than wasting is worrying about something that may or may not happen!
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 12:51 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• Maybe try hypnosis.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 12:45 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• It becomes habitual to think about something that actually is very scary. To break the habit, you must be conscious when the thoughts enter your mind, and push them away. When you realize you are thinking about it, tell yourself "NO! This isn't useful." or "NO! This is a habit I am not going to allow anymore!' you get the idea. Think this statement and then push the thoughts firmly from your mind. Find something else to take the place of the thoughts that you are banishing. Repeat as needed. I find it helpful to set a number on the amount of times needed to break the habit. For me it is usually 30 times, but that is just a number and has nothing to do with reality other than setting a goal. Good luck!

Answer by Bmat at 12:47 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• Well I am a type 2 diabetic. I don't obsess over the fact I have it. Fact is there are about 23 million diabetes in the US, which is only 8% of the population. However there are 56 million more americans that are pre-diabetic. And while, yes Genetics play a part I truely believe that it's the poor eating habits of this country that contribute to such a large number. We are a country of overweight unhealthy people (and you can be unhealthy and not overweight). Now I'm not saying this is the only cause, yes there is type 1 diabetes, genetics and other possible causes. And I personally believe genetics AND my poor eating habits growing up was the cause. I was worried about "fat" growing up and ate mac n cheese (a whole box) because it was low in fat, or I'd eat a whole package of lipton noodle side dish with chicken. LOL it's gross now that i'm older and wiser.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 12:48 PM on Mar. 3, 2009