I took maternity leave to early!!!!

2 weeks ago, my doctor advised that I would have my baby within a few days. Needless to say, I'm still pregnant. In fact, I haven't dialated any more or otherwise progressed within that time. I hate to ask for more than 6 weeks from my boss, however, at this rate, it seems I may have too. Should I request to be enduced, as long as it is safe for the baby?

my_11_stars

Asked by my_11_stars at 12:48 PM on Mar. 3, 2009 in Pregnancy

• if your body has not progressed at all in two weeks, then your body/baby just isn't ready. has it made ANY progression?
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 12:49 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• I re-read your question. Don't do it, unless the doctor recommends it for the safety of your child.
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 12:50 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• No don't induce because of work. You have a right of 12 weeks so let your child come naturally.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 12:52 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• If nothing is progressing then maybe go back to work for as long as you can handle it then take some more time off.
    Anonymous

• Actually, no you don't have a right to 12 weeks. Only those with 50 or more employees have to give 12 weeks, and you only get that in the event that you've worked there for at least a year. Can you go back to work? If it were me, I'd ask to go back to work for at least a few days rather than asking for more time.
    Anonymous

• I agree with what's already been said. Do not induce because of work. Do you know if your covered by fmla?
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 1:20 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• Being induced is NOT the answer... they come along w/ many complications! Be Patient, its worth it:) GL
    StarrCooKie

Answer by StarrCooKie at 1:50 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• I wish doctors wouldn't make those kinds of predictions, there is no way of telling when someone will go into labor. Induction isn't a good idea either since your body is just not ready..if it and your baby would have been ready the baby would have been born by now.
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 2:17 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• If tey do induce you and you are not dialating they will give you a pill to take. Two of my children were induced and they are perfectly fine.
    Anonymous