Etsy.com moms: how good does it work?

Any moms who sell on Etsy.com please leave your input. You can always answer anon., I don't care, but I'd love to know what it is you sell and how much profit you actually make off this site! I'm debating on depending solely on income from Etsy.com, and go all out with that, or finding more children to keep, which means I wouldn't have much time (at all!) to work on my "handmade items". What my heart says is go all for it and try to sell my things on Etsy, but my head is asking if that's really practical! I just stumbled across the website after the parents of the little girl I keep gave me her notice, so I took it as a sign. That's always been my dream that I thought was so out of reach- to stay home and work on art projects, and sell them online- but had never found a good website to sell on (no way to ebay!)
What do you think ladies? Dive in? Or play it safe still keeping kids? Maybe try to balance the two???

AlleyK

Asked by AlleyK at 1:06 PM on Mar. 3, 2009 in Money & Work

• Play it safe keeping kids. I believe the highest income earned on Etsy is about $30,000 per year and that is a RARE few shops. You will need to sit down and do your expenses (figure out everything you spend money on each year and including the money you need to run your business) in order to figure out how much you'll need to make on Etsy in order to survive. Then figure out how much you profit from each item you sell and then figure out how many items you'll have to sell each month to make it. For me, I would need to make more than $40,000 per year in order to support my household by myself from Etsy and that would be penny pinching. My average sale amount is $15-$30 so I would need to sell at least 211 items per month to support myself. It's not so easy when you look at it that way.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 1:51 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• CHECK OUT THIS FIRST BEFORE YOU SELL ON ETSY. http://www.cpsc.gov/about/cpsia/cpsia.html
    MizRee

Answer by MizRee at 1:30 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• Etsy.com is a wonderful venue to sell on and they do have a search engine (that gets rather crowded), HOWEVER, they do not sell your items for you. You will have to aggressively market to your target audience yourself. It takes knowledge and business experience to do this effectively. I think the bigger picture is owning your own business and choosing venues to sell on, Etsy being one of them (don't put all of your eggs in one basket). If you're earning a living, you will have to hire a book keeper and do quarterly taxes and collect sales tax. You'll be responsible for knowing the business laws in your state, Federal safetly laws, the FCC and the TOS of the sites that you use. You will not be able to make a living off of just Etsy; I can almost guarantee.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 1:55 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• Here is my Etsy shop http://www.capturecapemay.etsy.com and here is a thread where Etsy members discuss Etsy/Online selling "myths" I think you should read before making a decision to stop what you're currently doing and jumping into Etsy headfirst:  http://www.etsy.com/forums_thread.php?thread_id=5727018.  Etsy (and any other online selling venue) is fun and a good suppliment to your income.  I encourage you to try it part-time while continuing to do what you are doing now.

NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 1:58 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• There have been a lot of "selling online" questions today, so I made a journal with list of all of the places I know of to sell online.  Selling Your Wares Online

NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 2:24 PM on Mar. 3, 2009