breast milk

could my 3 month old all of a sudden be allergic to my milk??? i have breastfed him since he was born, and started supplementing formula at 1 month. Now everytime he gets breastmilk he spits up real bad, but not with the formula. What do you think the reason for this could be. Its been going on for about a week now.

sweetjpea

Asked by sweetjpea at 1:10 PM on Mar. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• He's probably not getting burped well enough when he's breast feed. I've never heard of a baby being allergic to breast milk.
    Liz132

Answer by Liz132 at 1:15 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• Iti s 100% IMPOSSIBLE for a baby to be allergic to breastmilk. People who tell you this are lying. It is however possible for the baby to be allergic to something you ate. I would stop supplimenting. you can use a SNS system if you really need to suppliment but supplimenting is a horrible cycle that eventually will cause even less production in milk. Don't stop nursing your baby! That is what is best for babies. Get a SNS and cut out high allergen/upsetting foods. Also, get into contact with an LLL leader near you.
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 1:17 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• Have you eaten anything different? My So was lactose intollerant and I had no clue. I love dairy products, but when I figured out that was why he was throwing up constantly, I cut out all dairy and he was right as rain.
    happyathomemum

Answer by happyathomemum at 1:18 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• My son still to this day spits up when I drink orange juice or anything acidy and sometimes even too much dairy. My first thought is he could be spitting up your milk because he is getting too full on the supplement. Try to back off the supplement a tad and burp better then breastfeed. Over all you should ask the his doctor.
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 2:24 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• It's probably just a reaction he's having to something that you're consuming. A lot of babies are sensitive to their moms consuming cow dairy (milk, cheese, chocolate, ice cream, yogurt). There are other possible sensitivities. I would try cutting out dairy to see if he seems to get better. And maybe when you use formula, try soy formula, because I think regular formula is lactose-based.
    Kat770

Answer by Kat770 at 6:56 PM on Mar. 3, 2009