Horrible bad breath....

My sil, I know from my daughter of course sees a dentist regurly,takes care of his teeth, no cavities,pretty teeth, healthy gums but his breathe is aweful..She says it's even getting to where she hates to kiss him and it's hard to talk to him.He is a candy eater big time and eats fast could this be the reason? She has bought him rinses, everything you can imagine for it..still is bad and he is constantly coughing up phelm or sounds like hes trying to get something up..Hes not a smoker either. It gets so annoying to b/c its constant..could it be a tick? I know the question is about the breathe but thought I would add that too.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:15 PM on Mar. 3, 2009 in Health

• Sounds like he has chronic dry mouth and is using the candy to keep it wet. The sugar in the candy is causing his mucus most likely. Have her look up TriOral on QVC.com. Maybe that will help with the dry mouth and bad breath.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 1:18 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• He sounds like he might need a major overhaul in his mouth, it could be the foods he is eating.

Maybe something is going on and he does not know about it I would have him go to the doctor. Or just Google your question and go from there. GL

For now have him chew gum like "Extra spearmint flavor"
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 1:20 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• They should ask his dentist and doctor about it. He may have gum disease even though his teeth are fine. Other problems could be acid reflux, poor diet or not drinking enough water. All of which can be fixed.
    Niki_sd

Answer by Niki_sd at 1:20 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• there is a condition that I recently learned about..the doc's on that Doctor show where talking about it. There's something like tonsil rocks, little white balls I guess you could say, that get stuck in our tonsils..if we have the condition we have indents where bacteria get's stuck and builds up, you can feel them and it feels like your trying to cough them up when you do feel them. They cause VERY bad breath too!! The only way to get rid of them is to take a q-tip and press them out of the little holes in the tonsils or..a water pick. unfortunately there's no other way, other then if it's a very extreme case, he can have his tonsils removed.

Anonymous

• It sounds to me like a chronic sinus infection. This would explain why he feels that he needs to cough up phlegm all the time- the germs drip down from his sinuses into his lungs. If it isn't this, and if he has his tonsils, it could be what I read about called "tonsil stones" no, really! It is an accumulation of dead cells, germs, and mucus that forms little bits of matter in pockets in the tonsils. They smell nasty,and they make the breath bad. I'd suggest that whether tonsil or sinus related that he might benefit by seeing an ENT- ear, nose, throat specialist.

Answer by Bmat at 1:26 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• Wow! I have a slow internet connection so when I type up answers and click answer question, there are frequently posts that I haven't read there. So I just read anon.22's post. I didn't know that anyone else was familiar with tonsil stones/rocks. And I didn't know of any way to remove them other than pressing them out, so I find it interesting that someone else has this information. :) I googled it a few years ago and there was someone, an MD I think, selling a rinse that he or she claims will keep tonsil stones from forming, or will get rid to them. So this might be something to look into. I didn't buy the rinse, so I don't know anything about it or even if it is still being offered for sale.

Answer by Bmat at 1:32 PM on Mar. 3, 2009