Why do some Christians worship crosses?

It doesnt make sense to me as to why people worship the thing that was used to KILL the Savior, shouldn't you be worshiping Christ and not the cross? (And yes, i think that wearing something around your neck and on your house and all over the place and praying to it is considered worshiping it) If Christ was shot with a gun, would you be wearing one of those everywhere and decorating your house with it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:25 PM on Mar. 3, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• A smiling picture of Jesus doesn't really have the same effect as a picture of him on the cross. You really remember all he went through and take less for granted IMO. I likethe crosses. They are an amazing symbol or love and faith.
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 1:31 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• eye rolling

Anonymous

• People aren't worshipping the cross, they are using it as a reminder that Christ died for our sins. So it is really an act of worshipping Christ via the symbolism of the cross.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 1:28 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• Christians don't "worship" the cross. We worship jesus and the cross is a reminder of what he went through for us. ditto anon 1:26.
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 1:28 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• ... and they're not praying to the corss, either. They are praying to God.

I am Buddhist, and I have malas (strings of beads, like a rosary) all over the house. I wear them and I use them for meditation. But I am not worshipping the malas. I am simply using them as tools, as symbols for what I believe.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 1:29 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• then why not just have pictures of christ? or necklaces of him, rather then a cross if your not worshiping it? i've seen people PRAY to a cross... how is that not worshiping it????
    Anonymous

• People are not praying to the cross. They are not talking to the cross, they are talking to God. I know it may look like they are talking to the cross, but try to wrap your head around it, please. It's like talking on the phone - even though you can't see the person on the other end of the line doesn't mean they speaker is talking to a hunk of plastic. When I say "I love you" over the phone to my husband, that doesn't mean I love the phone, does it? Seriously, this is not a difficult concept.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 1:34 PM on Mar. 3, 2009