Are you self employed?

What is your business ?
Does it supliment or support your family?
How did you get started?
What are the benifits , and or pitflalls?
What advice would you give to another woman seeking to be self employed ?
Any thing you else you would love to share ?

gitanomadre

Asked by gitanomadre at 1:33 PM on Mar. 3, 2009 in Money & Work

• I own a Fine Art Photography business. It supplements perhaps. I mean it more as a hobby but had to register it as a business because it earns too much for "hobby status." I bought an expensive camera, printed my pictures and sold them until I could pay the camera off of my credit card and then used the extra profits to develop new products to sell (magnets, note cards, greeting cards etc). I love it because I can share my passion and how I see the world through photographic pints. The business end is boring with the book keeping and you are required by law to eat the costs of things that go wrong (i.e. package not arriving to a customer) so it can get expensive when mishaps occur. My advice? Not everyone is cut out to be a business owner and attempting to do it without any knowledge of business or sales skills can really wear you out anc cause you to lose money, not make it. (cont.)
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 1:39 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• Yes I work from home selling Usborne Books and More www.ubah.com/u2688
    and Avon and Mark products www.youravon.com/dhullum
    We are a single income family and this is the only work that I do and we are doing just fine
    even in this economy!
    I got started from a lady at a book fair who introduced me to Usborne and I started Avon because I loved buying the products and figured why not.
    There are tons of benefits, my favorite being that you can earn free products from both companies and that they provide your webstores for you. I love that you can make tons of new friends too. It doesn't feel like work. Its fun!
    I would tell moms that want to be self employed to not be scared to take the leap. This is the perfect mix for me and my family. I had to try several options before I found the perfect mix so don't give up. If you want to work at home you can do it!
    Email me if anyone is interested in doing what i do!
    usbornebooksdh

Answer by usbornebooksdh at 1:39 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• What is your business?  Kim's Kloth Boutique It a natural parenting website. I hand make all my items and plan on opening a store soon
     Does it supliment or support your family? It suppliments. I could support myself if I needed to, but it buys groceries and provides fun money and savings right now.
     How did you get started? I started making things for my daughter and people wanted to buy them.
     What are the benifits , and or pitflalls? Benifits are I get extra money and I LOVE what I do. the pitfalls are I have to work really hard and sometimes work 10 or more hours per day.
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 1:40 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• (cont.) I encourage anyone who wants to own their own business to either go into it with someone who has knowledge and business experience OR at least take some classes at their local community college. I can't stress the importance of advertising, finding a target market, balancing costs vs. mark-up vs. profit and relating your products to customers (among other things) and knowing how to do those things effectively more.

I have an online shop and a website if you want to see them www.capturecapemay.com and www.capturecapemay.etsy.com . I made the website myself from scratch :-) (no template, the graphics are mine).
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 1:42 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• navy-wife. I encourage you to check out www.etsy.com. It is a free store-front for those who sell handmade items and it's just $0.20 for every listing you make in your store.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 1:43 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• I teach dance and exercise. Supplemental income. A friend hired me years ago, and since then my present employer hired me. No benefits really. I get to use the copy machine and to store my equipment there, and I don't have to pay for the use of the facility, but other than that, I am responsible for paying the full amount of social security (about 15% of income), my own insurance, training, certification, classes, licensing, equipment, journals. When I was an employee, my employer paid these. If I don't work, I don't get paid- no paid leave. I do most of my work at home, no pay. The pay is strictly for the time I spend in front of the class. I get there early on my own time to set up, and leave after I take down my equipment, all on my own time. If there is a meeting, I attend on my own time. and so forth. (more)

Answer by Bmat at 1:43 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• continued: I am treated as lower status than the employees. If there is a party or meeting for the employees, I am not included.
    Benefits. I can work as much or as little as I want or am able (of course if I don't work, no pay). They can't make me go to other sites or to work hours or classes that I don't want. (however they can hire someone who would. and they might not pick up my contract again.) They by law cannot control what or how I teach (but again, if they don't like it, they can just not pick up my contract.)

I'd recommend being an employee, more benefits, more job security. The only thing is that you lose the independence.

Answer by Bmat at 1:47 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• Oh, and I forgot about quartely estimated tax payments. You are responsible for doing these once you have income that isn't subject income tax withholding.

Answer by Bmat at 1:51 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• It is a weightloss chocolate(sounds crazy I know, but it really works)

It brings in enough so my husband doesn't have to work overtime (I barely got started)
    as soon as we get more people under us and they are selling we will have enough to where my husband will not have to work.

I signed up for $10 and bought 6 bags (used them and lost weight) then I started telling people about it and they wanted in on it

The benifits are we make great money and I am losing weight off of it, the pitfalls would have to be convincing people

Go for it, but make sure it is right for YOU, some people are better at certain jobs than others, make sure you know you can do good at it.

Try it before you go into to it, make sure it's legit!
    VasquezFamily

Answer by VasquezFamily at 1:53 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• I've compiled a list of places to sell online in a journal. Click here.

NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 2:26 PM on Mar. 3, 2009