I was reading the rear facing car seat question....

and was wondering what kind of car seat you used when they got older and too big for the 'newborn' one? Can you give me a link of a picture or something? Or did you keep your baby in the small car seat?
I have no clue what the weight limit is in those car seats or when to switch to a bigger one, or what kind.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:38 PM on Mar. 3, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I use the Alpha Sport for both of my girls and I love it!
    http://products.howstuffworks.com/safety-1st-alpha-sport-3-phase-convertible-car-seat-22452-review.htm
    I hope that works. If not, just copy and paste.
    mommalady

Answer by mommalady at 1:49 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• http://www.target.com/Convertible-Car-Seats-Baby/b/ref=sc_pfc_r_4_0_1041910_1/190-5222569-3398158?ie=UTF8&node=3579961

This link goes to the Target website page for convertible carseats. These carseats are rear facing and forward facing. Many of them can be rear facing for up to 35 pounds.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 1:50 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• We liked the Alpha Omega 3-in-1 and the Eddie Bauer 3-in-1.

The weight limits on the carriers are different, so you need to check your manual, but generally it's 20-22lbs. Check the height, too. The one we had did NOT go by the "one inch of shell" rule.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 1:52 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• Just wanted to add... sometimes there are height limits on the infant carrier carseats as well. My youngest son was born at nearly 23" and his carseat's height limit was 26". He was out of it after his 2 month check up!
    SahmTam

Answer by SahmTam at 1:56 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• I bought the Graco SafeSeat. It went up to 35 pounds rear facing. I did research ahead of time and knew that the vast majority of babies outgrow the 23 pounds seats long before turning 1.

http://www.gracobaby.com/Catalog/Pages/ProductListingPage.aspx?catid=10:41||1+10434:4294959421||1#/1422

Another good option is to get a convertible seat... one that starts out rear facing but can then be turned front facing when the child outgrows the rear facing weight limit.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 2:30 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• I have an Eddie Bauer Alpha Omega Elite 3 in 1.....Its great.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 3:42 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• I took my daughter out of her infant seat long before she outgrew it. She hated it, and we did a lot of babywearing, so the seat stayed in the car anyways. I moved her to a cheap, Evenflo Titan at 6 months that RF to 30lbs and FF to 40lbs.

She will be 3 next week and rides RF in the Compass True Fit. This seat RF to 35lbs and FF to 65lbs. It also has the tallest shell for the most time possible RF. We love this seat, and for under $200, it is worth every penny.
    mamalinzie

Answer by mamalinzie at 9:04 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• The Safe Seat RF to 30lbs.

As with any rear facing seat, there must be at least 1 inch of hard shell above the childs head.

Eddie Bauers and Alpha Omegas are a waste of money. They don't have especially long shells, and the top harness slots are very low. These seats will be outgrown generally around 3 years old, long before the child is ready for a booster. Same goes with the Graco Comfortsport.
    mamalinzie

Answer by mamalinzie at 9:09 PM on Mar. 6, 2009