How does this work?

I am trying to get my 9 month old interested in a sippy cup. He has no interest in holding his own bottle or a sippy cup. I want to be sure he is off the bottle and on to sippy by the time he turns one, but if he wont hold his own bottle how will he ever hold a sippy cup? Is it one of those things where one day he will just want to hold it and drink from it? Has that been your experience? I guess I am just afraid that he is going to be 1 and I am going to be feeding him his bottle!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:55 PM on Mar. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• He is not ready to do it himself yet. He will be eventually though. I would continue to baby him until he is ready. He won't be a baby forever and it's best to enjoy it while it lasts.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 1:58 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• I agree, he will do it when he his good and ready. It doesn't hurt to keep trying every other week though, just don't force it on him. My son still has a hard time with a sippy, he is VERY picky when it comes to the brand and nipple on them as well. So maybe try a different sippy and at a different time.
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 2:20 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• "By 1" is a guideline. CPS is not going to show up at your door, call you a terrible mom, and take him away if he still wants a bottle at 1. If he gives them up tomorrow, great. If he gives them up at 16 months, great.

What to do to ENCOURAGE him? Get a variety of sippy cups, fill them with water, and scatter them around where he plays. Let him play with them, experiment with them, and then pick one he likes.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 2:49 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• He'll take one when he is ready. Put water in a sippy cup and just keep it close to him. He may just play with it at first, which is fine. It would be a way to get him used to it.
    marbear98

Answer by marbear98 at 4:58 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• just an idea... they have these spill proof cups with a soft rubber straw, maybe that would work? my little one cant get the concept of tilting the sippy or bottle up, so we got her a cup with a straw and she loves it! good luck
    lovinsophie

Answer by lovinsophie at 7:15 PM on Mar. 3, 2009