Potty training issues Help!!!

My 2 year old son and me have been potty training and I can't get him to tell me when he has to go, I take him to the potty when I go and ask him if he has to go, my mom told me just to put him on the potty but if I do he goes but he wants to play around, plus I want him to get in the habbit of telling me when he has to go. Any tips???

NicholeAT

Asked by NicholeAT at 2:03 PM on Mar. 3, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• From all the stuff I've read and all the potty training posts I've seen, expecting a toddler to tell you he has to go is the number one mistake parents make.
    Do NOT expect him to tell you or to answer "Yes" if you ask until he has been fully trained for at least 6 months AND is over 3 years old. Even then, he will forget and have accidents. "I forgot" or "I didn't get there in time" accidents are common into grade school.

Take him often. If he is still learning, take him once an hour. Once he is well on his way to being trained, take him every 2 hours.
    Do not ever ask him if he has to go. He will tell you "no" since he won't want to leave his toys. That's common and natural. Do not ask. Simply say "It's time to go potty".

When can you stop taking him? When you see him going down the hall all on his own, day after day, with no accidents. Until then, keep track of when he goes and get him there every 2 hours.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 2:43 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• First of all take a deep breath and relax! He will let you know when he is ready, until then gently remind him that big boys go potty in the toilet not in thier pants and ask him if he would like to try going potty. One day it will just click, the light bulb will go on and he will be a champ at it! I went through the same thing with my son and *POOF* one day he was completely potty trained. If you push him I worry that you will wind up having issues in the long run with accidents and bed wetting.
    JandAddysMom

Answer by JandAddysMom at 2:44 PM on Mar. 3, 2009