• In the Spotlight:

Do you think it would still be okay to use chicken that said on the package "Purchase by Feb. 27". I had it in the refridgerator not the freezer. Do you think it still okay to cook?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:16 PM on Mar. 3, 2009 in Food & Drink

• Bestway to tell is open it and smell it!
    Anonymous

• does it look normal or smell? Thats only 4 days since purchase by date I think if it looks normal and smells normal you could use it tonight.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 2:21 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• if it dosn't smells its good
    Albi1623

Answer by Albi1623 at 2:21 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• I think you're okay if it does not smell bad.
    lilmizmoore1127

Answer by lilmizmoore1127 at 2:23 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• If you don't know after smelling it, don't take the chance. The cost of the chicken is much less than the cost to go to the doctor.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 2:25 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• When in doubt, throw it out. It should be good for at least one day from the last day of purchase, but 4 days- probably still OK, but not worth the worry.

Answer by Bmat at 2:27 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• Get rid of it. Chicken or any poultry spoils easy, just smelling isn't enough.
    Food poisening is not something you want to go through. Better safe then sorry.
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 2:27 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• I'd toss it.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 2:29 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• I never use poultry after the sell by date. It goes bad too quickly. Not worth the risk.
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 2:41 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• I don't take any risks when it comes to chicken. I would throw it out and go buy a new pack.
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 3:13 PM on Mar. 3, 2009