I'm sick. help!!

My newborn is a week old today & I have a fever of 101.2 & I'm breastfeeding.
What cold medicine is safe for me to take? AND could my baby get sick from my breastmilk?

shessohippie

Asked by shessohippie at 2:29 PM on Mar. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I am not sure if this is true or not but I heard if you are breastfeeding if you catch something before babby then baby wont get it because he has already been immune to it. In what to take I am not sure.
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 2:31 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• Breastmilk is actually the best thing to give her when you're sick, because it gives her the antibodies your body is using to fight the illness. That means she is less likely to catch your bug if you breastfeed her, and even if she does catch it, her body will do a better job of fighting it off. So keep on breastfeeding, mama. Just avoid kisses and wash your hands a lot. As for what meds are safe, kellymom.com is an awesome breastfeeding resource. If you google kellymom breastfeeding cold medicine, you ought to find the link. Feel better soon!
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 2:31 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• Agree with bluefrogmama. Only one addition: If your fever persists, contact your doctor.
    cristie1276

Answer by cristie1276 at 2:58 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• The best thing you can do for your baby when you're sick is to continue to breastfeed. When you have a contagious illness such as a cold, flu, or other mild virus, your baby was exposed to the illness before you even knew you were sick. Your milk will not transmit your illness to baby, but it does have antibodies in it that are specific to your illness (plus anything else you or baby have been exposed to) - they'll help prevent baby from getting sick, or if he does get sick, he'll probably not be as sick as you.  For info on medicines you can take go to "Cold and Allergy Remedies Compatible with Breastfeeding"

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 6:28 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• Sorry, lost the link there: "Cold and Allergy Remedies Compatible with Breastfeeding"

http://www.kellymom.com/health/meds/cold-remedy.html

maggiemom2000