Cheerleading...is it a sport..what do you think??

Do you think cheerleading is a sport?
If you do not think it is a sport, than what is it???

Dannee

Asked by Dannee at 2:30 PM on Mar. 3, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• When I hear "sport" I think of games where you score points. I don't consider cheerleading a sport but that doesn't mean I don't think it's hard work. Dancing is hard work also but not considered a sport. There are competitions for tons of things that aren't sports.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 6:38 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• yes, i do think it is. I was a cheerleader from the age of 5 until 17 and it is hard work, a cheerleader needs to be athletic and in shape. (at least at some schools) lol but yes, it is a sport and i dont understand why people think that all cheerleaders do is just jump around and scream
    mommyBrooke849

Answer by mommyBrooke849 at 2:33 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• Yes it's a sport... there are competitions for it... my oldest dd was a cheerleader 4 yrs and her squad took #1 place in competition... they would practice daily... so yes it's a sport...

gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 2:34 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• Absolutely, particularly at schools that compete. My babysitter was a cheerleader and I've seen pictures and videos of her in action. It's impressive, and extremely physically challenging. She trained her tush off for years to be a member of a top college cheer team.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 2:34 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• heck yes...my poor daughter comes home brused and sore....those girls/guys have to be in top shape to be able to perform for that duration of time and to do all the stunting.
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 2:35 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• What is a sport? an discipline that involves athetic training? In this case, I'd say that cheerleading is a sport. I just looked it up. The dictionary says a sport is an activity engaged in for pleasure. So cheerleading for sure.

Answer by Bmat at 2:36 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• Yes, it is a sport but I think the main reason why most girls do cheer leading is the outfits they get to wear in front of the whole school..If they had to wear band uniforms for cheer leading they wouldn't like it, or even consider it in most cases.
    Anonymous

• Yes, Its a sport. I cheered for 13yrs. of my life and it was and is very athletic. You work out just as hard as any football and basketball player. You have to train to acccomplish the array of jumps, splits, and pyramids. You have to very strong and athletic to throw , hold and caught someone you thre in the air. So for the people who thinks its not an sport then i would love to see them try it for just one day.
    sunshinestar110

Answer by sunshinestar110 at 2:42 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• Yes it is. When I was a cheerleader we had to be very athletic and in shape. We worked out in the gym three days a week and then had practice on top of that. I took gymnastics and kept that up during my time in cheerleading. We worked as hard if not harder than the football, basketball and baseball teams we cheered for. We did this the entire school year they played their season and were done.

Anonymous

• It is a sport. Did you know most injuries and deaths (sports related in school age kids) are from cheerleading? These girls work out hard too.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 4:07 PM on Mar. 3, 2009