Can you gain minimum weight while pregnant?

I'm already overweight by 30lbs. I am terrified of gaining more weight, especially pregnant. Can I excersize, and maintain my weight through my pregnancy? Is this even realistic?

momofmystery

Asked by momofmystery at 11:23 PM on Jun. 19, 2008 in Diet & Fitness

• yes.. but talk to your doctor first.
    CMEckery

Answer by CMEckery at 11:29 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I wouldn't say maintain, but definitely do exercises and eat healthy, that will be great for you and your baby and it will help pave that road for post birth too. But definitely talk to your dr and bring up your concerns, I'm sure he/she will have some wonderful advice for you too.
    Lisa7177

Answer by Lisa7177 at 11:46 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• You should really speak to your doc. about it like the previous reply said. As long as your doc. okays it, there is a lot of exercises that is safe to do while pregnant. Just remember to eat healthy, drink lots of water, and take your prenatal vitamins. A lot of women who start out a little overweight don't gain a whole lot during pregnancy. I was overweight when I got pregnant, and my doc. actually encouraged me to not gain over 15-20 lbs at the max.
    jamie8506

Answer by jamie8506 at 11:47 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Exercise is always good for you and your baby. Denise Austin Dvd's are available for pregnancy and she does great exercises. You may want to check her out.
    Sexymom75

Answer by Sexymom75 at 12:16 AM on Jun. 20, 2008

• You should exercise - there are lots of videos for pregnant moms. Be aware that there are some exercises you shouldn't do so don't use a regualr video or attend a regular class.

As for the gaining weight, you can limit what you gain but talk to your doctor. The baby needs good food and plenty of liquids.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:21 AM on Jun. 20, 2008

• Absolutely. You don't need to gain more than 30 pounds. If you're that concerned and have the money, I'd join Weight Watchers because they have plans for pregnant women, and also breast feeding women. I gained 70 pounds each of my pregnancies and I REGRET IT!!
    ashleymrivers

Answer by ashleymrivers at 12:22 AM on Jun. 20, 2008

• Don't worry too much about gaining weight. You really don't want a baby with a low birth weight - that could effect their health. My baby was only 5 1/2 lbs and even though he is a-okay now, I wish I would have gained a bit more.
    NaomiMonster

Answer by NaomiMonster at 12:36 AM on Jun. 20, 2008

• It's not healthy to gain no weight, but it is realistic to gain just the baby, placenta, and amniotic weight - which is roughly 35 lbs.
    rae_dawg

Answer by rae_dawg at 12:41 AM on Jun. 20, 2008

• Yes I think that you should be able to without a problem. Don't over-stress yourself working out, but you should be able to only gain around 15-20 lbs if you eat and exercise right.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:58 AM on Jun. 20, 2008

• I was told no more than fifteen pounds weight gain when I was pregnant. So you should be able to maintain your weight fine. no salty foods during the pregnancy tho' I gained four pounds in one week from two tacos. LOL
    Anonymous