Why are Democratic Lawmakers against School Vouchers?

WASHINGTON—The House of Representatives is working on finalizing its spending legislation for the year, to the tune of $410 billion, and one local school voucher program could be on the chopping block.

Under the appropriations legislation, Washington, D.C.’s school voucher program will come to an end after the 2009-10 school year, unless both Congress and the Council of the District of Columbia reauthorize it. Democrats, the district’s council, and the local teachers union are not enthusiastic supporters of the voucher program, which Republicans pushed in 2004 with the support of then-D.C. Mayor Anthony Williams. House Republicans are crying foul, saying Democrats are trying to sink the program by adding these contingencies.
~
Do you think the liberals are too close to the teachers union to make a decision that is best for school kids?
Are you for or against, and does your opinion go against your "parties" stance?

grlygrlz2

Asked by grlygrlz2 at 2:38 PM on Mar. 3, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Some links:
    http://www.worldmag.com/webextra/15056
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/opinion/chi-0303edit2mar03,0,7733203.story
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 2:40 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• Liberals are in the unions pockets.
    Anonymous

• what is a school voucher program?
    Anonymous

• I think this voucher system is a wonderful program that while it has had modest success, it IS success and should remain. I think the liberals are sleeping so close with the unions it is HORRIBLE.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 2:44 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• Voucher Program is an opportunity for low income children to apply for essentially "scholarships" and compete for openings in private and charter schools.

IMO, this is giving children a CHANGE to succeed...
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 2:46 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• CHANCE.. lol, not change... But I guess it is a "change" as well.
    grlygrlz2

• Thanks! It sounds like it would be a good idea
    Anonymous

• I bet you not one liberal on this site will answer. they don't have an answer to why their liberal elitest politicians are not looking out for all children. They don't want their kids associating with the riff raff. Those kids are left to the public schools system.
    Anonymous

• Because it essentially takes funding away from the public schools. I assume you're talking about the DC area low-income voucher issue? One way to help in that area would be for that area to finally gain representation in congress.
    Raintree

Answer by Raintree at 2:51 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• I like a school voucher system - that can be used in the private and public sectors. I think it will make teachers TRY harder because their performance WILL matter. I think it will give parents and children options and promote competition in school systems for academic excellence.
    Praying

Answer by Praying at 2:53 PM on Mar. 3, 2009