For Cloth diaper making mamas

For those of you who make diapers and have used PUL and flannel materials...would a PUL outer and a flannel inner(liner) work alright? Just regular flannel from walmart, nothing fancy.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:53 PM on Mar. 3, 2009 in Hobbies & Crafts

• Fleece is much better to use than flannel. Flannel is going to keep wet against your baby's skin where as fleece (anit pill is best since it won't pill with repeative washes) wicks moisture away. My daughter goes to bed at 7 pm and wakes up at 7 am and has the same diaper on all night (14 months) and though the insert of her diaper is SOAKED, the fleece inner is still dry to the touch. You can get anti pill fleece on sale at hancocks for $3.99/yard all the time.
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 3:07 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• I guess I should have put this part in with the question...my plan is to make it so the soakers sit on top, actually snap to the back area, of the liner. I dont know if that makes a difference or not.
    Also I bought a bunch of anti-pill fleece and then was told in a group that it wont do the job at all. My mom and I put the fabric under some running water for about 10-20 seconds and the back of the fabric never got wet. Did it just need soemthing behind it to make the water be drawn through?

Also with my soaker im planning on diong the microterry towels from auto dept., trifolding them and putting flannel around those and then putting the soaker on top of the liner. but if flannel keeps the wetness next to baby thats not good.hmm...
    Anonymous

• Antipill fleece will allow a stream of pee to shoot through it, but doesn' "absorb" It draws moisture away to the soaker. If your pattern will eb making a snap in liner that is the absorbant part, I do this some, I just use one layer of microfiber (or whatever, terry in your case) then a layer of fleece. Then, I fold it into thirds. This makes up the soaker. When you fold it, make sure the fleece is next to baby's skin. My not sewing it, it makes it quick dry. You can also use these inserts as doublers for night time.
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 3:50 PM on Mar. 3, 2009