Furniture Advice??? HELP!!!

I am wanting to get new furniture but I don't know what kind of fabric to get. I have two dogs that are allowed on the furniture and 2 kids ages 8 and 5. I was thinking about microfiber but I have heard mixed things about it. Not for sure. I was also thinking of regular fabric kind of like cordoroy sp? I don't want leather because it is so expensive. Also has anyone ever bought furniture online before?? I just want something that is going to hold up well. We have had our current furniture for 10 years now and it is needing to go it is the tweed fabric and is pulling apart in several areas I have had to try and sew it back together several times now.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:54 PM on Mar. 3, 2009 in Shopping

• Hi. Hope this helps. I sold furniture for years and know pretty well how things hold up. The LAST thing to get is cotton/denim. They fade/stretch and sag in the matter of about a year! Microfiber is really good. No fabric is 100% against stains but microfiber (make sure that it has a backing on it, ask your salesperson) is your best bet as far as fabrics go. Its good also because its so tightly woven that dust/etc won't collect in the cushions. Stains come out easily. Choose a lighter/medium fabric. Cord is a bad bet! It doesn't last and it picks/snags really badly. Complaints were made constantly on how poorly it held up. Now if you like the cord look I know Ashley Homestores makes a cord look durapella microfiber you could get it, its called Duracord. I wouldn't buy furniture online. It almost never comes looking the way it does online and the warranties are never very good. And invest in the stain protect program!GL
    usbornebooksdh

Answer by usbornebooksdh at 9:31 PM on Mar. 3, 2009

• I have 6-year old twins and a dog and we just bought a microfiber sectional from Ashley's last year. It seems to hold up pretty good. We have a blanket for the dog and that is the only part of the couch she can get on because she sheds so much. It is great with stains, but we have the scotchguard plan just in case!

Also, leather might not work anyway depending on your dog's nails and how good you are with trimming them.

Good luck!

Also
    LadyEb

Answer by LadyEb at 9:03 AM on Mar. 4, 2009

• I HATE HATE HATE micro fiber! Worse thing I've seen for kids and pets. I'd pick a busy pattern, like a bold floral in a dark beige/light brown background. That will hide a lot of kid messes. Dark colors will show every little piece of lint, so pick a medium tone. Strongly reccomend a pattern though.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:48 AM on Mar. 5, 2009